[NCUC-DISCUSS] Hot topic session in BA

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Fri Nov 1 05:13:24 CET 2013

On 31 October 2013 07:43, William Drake <william.drake at uzh.ch<mailto:william.drake at uzh.ch>> wrote:
community members are asked to rank their preferences.

My prefs: 1, 4, 2, 3. Explanation follows

1.     Evolution of Internet Governance - Montevideo Statement and Post Bali Activities

Insofar as this includes Montevideo statement, IANA "globalization" and/or any other restructuring of ICANN oversight it should be the first priority. Insofar as "post-Bali activities" involves diffuse discussions of "orphan" issues it should be at the bottom of the list.

2.     Names Collision Mitigation Risks

This issue is extremely important to certain constituencies, esp BC, Verisign and new TLD applicants. Anyone interested in the role of SSAC in ICANN should also be interested in that.
But to NCUC it is of secondary importance. Unlike Bill, I would place it 3rd rather than 4th.

3.  Policy and Implementation

This is what would go last in my priorities. Simply because I do not believe a discussion of this is going to be productive; let's fight it out in our Independent Review.

4.  Strategic Panels

There are issues of ICANN reform and mission creep here that could be usefully discussed, and they are probably better discussed before the panels meet and their work is set in stone.