[NCSG-Discuss] ICANN is bottom-up, except for when it is top-down. Fwd: Memorandum on the Trademark Clearinghouse ³Strawman Solution²

Mary.Wong at LAW.UNH.EDU Mary.Wong at LAW.UNH.EDU
Mon Mar 25 21:06:34 CET 2013

Email: mary.wong at law.unh.edu
Phone: 1-603-513-5143
Webpage: http://www.law.unh.edu/marywong/index.php

From:
David Cake <dave at DIFFERENCE.COM.AU>

To:
<NCSG-DISCUSS at LISTSERV.SYR.EDU>

Date:
3/25/2013 4:52 AM

Re: [NCSG-Discuss] ICANN is bottom-up, except for when it is top-down.
Fwd: Memorandum on the Trademark Clearinghouse ³Strawman Solution²

On 22/03/2013, at 10:00 PM, Mary.Wong at LAW.UNH.EDU wrote:

It seems to me that there may be a good topic for the SG to raise with
the Board here during the Board-NCSG meeting in Beijing. Several recent
developments such as: (1) the Board's unilateral contract amendment
power for both Registry and Registrar Accreditation Agreements; (2) the
sudden introduction of the PIC Specification (presumably related to GAC
pressure); (3) the imposition of a to-be-determined new WHOIS policy;
and, now, (4) the adoption of much of the TM "strawman" proposal - all
call into question the relevance and sanctity of the GNSO's policy
development processes.

This relates also to the whole "policy vs implementation" discussion
that's ongoing.

Two ideas for the group to consider, therefore:

(1) [To our Councilors] Will the GNSO Council stand aside and allow
these process runarounds to occur?

As a councillor, I feel very strongly about the strawman decision,
especially the '+50' decision. We haven't discussed specific action yet,
but I'm sure it will be discussed in Beijing, and I will be pushing for
the strongest possible objection from the council.

Regards

David