[NCSG-Discuss] ICANN is bottom-up, except for when it is top-down. Fwd: Memorandum on the Trademark Clearinghouse ³Strawman Solution²

Mary.Wong at LAW.UNH.EDU Mary.Wong at LAW.UNH.EDU
Fri Mar 22 15:00:20 CET 2013

It seems to me that there may be a good topic for the SG to raise with
the Board here during the Board-NCSG meeting in Beijing. Several recent
developments such as: (1) the Board's unilateral contract amendment
power for both Registry and Registrar Accreditation Agreements; (2) the
sudden introduction of the PIC Specification (presumably related to GAC
pressure); (3) the imposition of a to-be-determined new WHOIS policy;
and, now, (4) the adoption of much of the TM "strawman" proposal - all
call into question the relevance and sanctity of the GNSO's policy
development processes.

This relates also to the whole "policy vs implementation" discussion
that's ongoing.

Two ideas for the group to consider, therefore:

(1) [To our Councilors] Will the GNSO Council stand aside and allow
these process runarounds to occur?

(2) [To our SG officers and all members] How about asking the Board to
explain how it is that these recent unilateral changes were introduced
despite opposition by some in the community and no formal GNSO consensus
view taken?

I'd add, though, that - per Ed's point - the SG does need to take a
much more pro-active approach. While we have done better recently with
responding to public comment requests and statements, and have some
improved relationships with other groups in the community, we have not
leveraged or developed the kind of influential relationships that are
needed to be treated as other than with tolerant condescension. In
addition, because we're all volunteers, we often cannot follow through
with some excellent suggestions for action that are made on this list.
That's too bad.

Cheers
Mary

Mary W S Wong
Professor of Law
Faculty Chair, Global IP Partnerships
Chair, Graduate IP Programs
UNIVERSITY OF NEW HAMPSHIRE SCHOOL OF LAW
Two White Street
Concord, NH 03301
USA
Email: mary.wong at law.unh.edu