[NCSG-Discuss] Public Interest Commitments considered harmful

Avri Doria avri at ACM.ORG
Tue Mar 19 17:36:33 CET 2013

Hi,

If I understand, I think this is great.

I have always argued that a lot of things people asked for as policy, should be things that Registries do voluntarily.

That was my understanding of  the original point of the GNSO policy about NO required RPMs, but lots of suggested RPMs.  Of course this decision was the first policy recommendation that the Board transgressed on with the STI.

I think it is a good thing for the Registries to make up their own minds about what rules they wish to submit themselves to.  And for the community to continue to object or decide to withdraw the objection.  That is the way I thought the process was supposed to work from the start.

a. application proposes
b. the world objects
c. the application reviews it and takes it into account.
d. either the objection is withdrawn or adjudicated.

With a parallel process for the GAC objections, aka advice.

So I guess I am missing the point about the problem.

avri