[NCSG-Discuss] A few points from today's NCSG Open Policy Meeting

Nicolas Adam nickolas.adam at GMAIL.COM
Tue Mar 19 16:28:27 CET 2013

Which front page?

Is it the one from "tangente university" or something like that? Sorry
to still be missing it.

Nicolas

On 13/03/2013 6:16 AM, William Drake wrote:
> [...]
>
>> Hi
>>
>> Thanks Robin, good notes, one addendum since you didn't have a access
>> to the Adobe: there was a small bit of discussion about the one-page
>> "cheat sheets" we agreed in LA to produce summarizing our positions
>> on key issues for Fadi and his team, so they have some organized and
>> accessible idea where we're coming from on a range of issues.  There
>> was some back and forth about just how we would do this and then the
>> discussion got side tracked, but I think the most popular view was
>> that it should be done at the SG level and coordinated through the PC
>> https://community.icann.org/display/gnsononcomstake/Policy+Issue+Summaries.
>>   From my perspective anyway, one would think this should be
>> antecedent to and more important than some of the other items
>> mentioned yesterday.  Yes we could try to help others and broader
>> processes by focusing the RAA discussion, supporting EWG, helping to
>> define "public interest" for ICANN and all the rest, but shouldn't we
>> first concentrate on getting out our own statements about our own
>> views as a community, lay down some markers, make it less easy for
>> ICANN leadership and staff to characterize community sentiments on a
>> given issue in ways that ignore our views, etc.
>>
>> We have three and half weeks until Beijing.  Shouldn't we be able to
>> pull together teams to do concise and spiffy statements on say 6
>> topics, e.g. maybe a couple cross-cutting institutional
>> (transparency, inclusion in the new extra-meeting meetings, outreach,
>> policy/implementation) and a couple substantive policy (RAA,
>> registrant right,s INGO, WHOIS, closed generics—both sides—etc).
>>
>> If there's sufficient juice to do this, I'd volunteer to help with
>> the institutional bits, as these synch better with the UC EC work
>> underway...
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> Bill
>>

>> On Mar 13, 2013, at 2:51 AM, Robin Gross <robin at ipjustice.org
>> <mailto:robin at ipjustice.org>> wrote:
>>
>>> A few notes in advance of receiving the transcript and recording
>>> from today's NCSG Open Policy Meeting.
>>>
>>> Proposal to organize a couple briefing sessions with ICANN staff and
>>> Registrar negotiators regarding the recent debacle over the
>>> Registrar Agreement Amendment (RAA) and ICANN unilateralism.
>>>
>>> Proposal to organize a briefing session with privacy-concerned
>>> members of the WHOIS Expert Working Group about how NCSG can
>>> contribute to the EWG discussions and possible outcomes of EWG.
>>>
>>> Proposal that NCSG help define "public interest" discussion at ICANN
>>> by preparing a list of criteria to consider in the evaluation (Wendy
>>> holds drafting pen - looking for input).
>>>
>>> Below is the list of discussion topics suggested by NCSG members for
>>> NCSG GNSO Representatives to propose at Thursday's GNSO Council
>>> Meeting on the topic of Beijing planning.
>>>
>>> GNSO & Board Discussion:
>>> 1.  Bottom-up multi-stakeholderism v. ICANN unilateralism
>>> 2.  Definition of "public interest" at ICANN
>>> 3.  ICANN engagement & outreach plans
>>> 4.  New constituencies
>>>
>>> GNSO & GAC Discussion:
>>> 1.  Policy vs. Implementation - Roles of GAC & GNSO
>>> 2.  Definition of "public interest" at ICANN
>>>
>>> CCnso & GNSO Discussion:
>>> 1.  Rights & Responsibilities document in relation to RAA
>>> 2.  ICANN engagement & outreach plans