[NCSG-Discuss] Independent Objector Weighs In on "closed/private" tlds

Milton L Mueller mueller at SYR.EDU
Mon Mar 18 16:36:05 CET 2013

Hi, David
I didn't think I was taking a potshot at you personally, and I apologize if you interpreted it that way.
I do think the problem of Councilors absorbing attitudes and assumptions is a real one. I shouldn't have personalized it around you, however. Although someone who calls others on this list "the-proclaimer-of-annoying-specious-nonsense" isn't in a very good position to whine about it.

If you had said initially what you say now:

"I'm in broad agreement with your principle, but if you want to take it on and change the policy, then do it. Float the idea here, try to get general NCSG support. But don't just take potshots at tiny, incidental, issues as they go past"

...we probably wouldn't be having this debate.

I am of course raising a principle issue. It is not a tiny, incidental issue. I understand that even before the AG, the GAC and governments have been pushing for control of geographic terms despite the absence of any basis for it in international law. Basically the message we got from you was, "don't worry about it, it's fine." If by pushing on the principle I have made you and others on this list recognize the policy principle at stake then I have succeeded.