[NCSG-Discuss] Closed Generics

Avri Doria avri at ACM.ORG
Wed Mar 13 13:58:08 CET 2013

Note: on the ICANN Staff decision to limit the number of names a registry could register for itself:

I beleive that this is a decision that ICANN staff made without any policy input on whether this should be bounded or not.  There was nothing in the GNSO recommendation on this topic.

Was this just implementation?

If so, then they could change their minds and allow all registries to register as many names for themselves as they wished, even if they were open.  Better this than exceptions, which can be seen as arbitrary and preferential.

If not, then the whole issue needs review by the GNSO

avri