[NCSG-Discuss] Google likely opening key New gTLD strings

David Cake dave at DIFFERENCE.COM.AU
Mon Mar 11 05:13:55 CET 2013

Yes, open vs closed isn't an official category in the same was as Community is, but that doesn't mean it isn't meaningful.

Applications (generally in answer to Q18) generally specify registration policies (question 18 (b) iv. on the application form). Informally, an application is 'open' if the registry intends to allow anyone to register using normal registration procedures, closed if they wish to allow only the registry themselves to register (invoking the exemption to the ROCC to have no registrars).

This is far from the only useful categories though. There are 'open' but highly restricted domains, and 'closed' domains that intend to give domains away for free to some class of users.

Personally, I am increasingly in favour of no blanket policies on either open or closed domains, as the two categories don't usefully map directly to any intuitive idea of openness.

Regards

David