[NCSG-Discuss] Registrar Accreditation Agreement (RAA) draft published

Robin Gross robin at IPJUSTICE.ORG
Fri Mar 8 17:11:23 CET 2013

Thanks, Mary, I just saw the Registrars statement on this issue this
morning and was pretty shocked by ICANN's latest move toward
unilateralism (a very troubling trend) with staff's brand new RAA
demands at this late hour.  ICANN has been moving away from "bottom
up" multistakeholderism at the same time that it trumpets such a
model at the ITU and elsewhere.  ICANN staff/board can't continue to
claim ICANN is bottom-up while it reserves for itself the right to
make all decisions.

Robin

On Mar 8, 2013, at 7:59 AM, Mary.Wong at LAW.UNH.EDU wrote:

> http://www.icann.org/en/news/public-comment/proposed-raa-07mar13-
> en.htm
>
> Besides the draft Registrant Rights & Responsibility (R3) document
> that has already been discussed on this list, there are several
> other issues that may be of concern/interest to NCSG members,
> including the overlap with the changes currently being proposed to
> the new gTLD Registry Agreement in light of the whole "public
> interest" issue around new gTLDs. Note that the law enforcement
> agencies' requests that dominated earlier public discussions of the
> RAA were already folded into the draft before February, which is
> when the last round of negotiations between the Registrars and
> ICANN took place.
>
> The Registrars' Negotiating Team don't seem happy with ICANN
> releasing the draft at this point, interpreting that to mean that
> as far as ICANN is concerned this means negotiations are,
> effectively, over. Here's their official statement:  http://
> www.internetnews.me/2013/03/08/registrar-negotiating-team-issues-
> statement-on-raa/
>
> Cheers
> Mary
>
> Mary W S Wong
> Professor of Law
> Director, Franklin Pierce Center for IP
> Chair, Graduate IP Programs
> UNIVERSITY OF NEW HAMPSHIRE SCHOOL OF LAW
> Two White Street
> Concord, NH 03301
> USA
> Email: mary.wong at law.unh.edu
> Phone: 1-603-513-5143
> Webpage: http://www.law.unh.edu/marywong/index.php
> Selected writings available on the Social Science Research Network
> (SSRN) at: http://ssrn.com/author=437584

IP JUSTICE
Robin Gross, Executive Director
p: +1-415-553-6261    f: +1-415-462-6451
w: http://www.ipjustice.org     e: robin at ipjustice.org