[NCSG-Discuss] NCSG members and the closed generic issue

Milton L Mueller mueller at SYR.EDU
Wed Mar 6 15:32:38 CET 2013

Who posted it in its original form?
Me. The original signers who are listed in the original document all reviewed and signed on to it in that form. No problem there.

Indeed, it was posted before any of this discussion started. And before anyone complains that they weren’t consulted let me remind everyone that I asked for participants a week ago, and everyone who responded was apprised of the statement and most of them helped to edit it.

The original idea was just that people who had contacted me after my first request would develop the statement and submit it  when they were satisfied with it.
Then some suggested that the statement was so good and persuasive that we should also ask others from NCSG whether they supported it. I interpreted that to mean AFTER it had been filed.  In other words, the original comment had been filed when the list was asked for additional support.

The idea (perhaps not made clear enough at the time) was that after filing the comment, people who agreed with it as it was could either add their name to the Google docs, or file an individual comment expressing support for it. I never thought people would obsess over one word and never anticipated that anyone would misinterpret a list of individual supporters as somehow a statement by the NCSG as a whole (indeed, I still question whether that is a sincere argument or merely a whining by people who don't agree with the statement)

Look folks, here is the basic deal: no one on the NCSG Policy Committee came forward and offered to shepherd a statement for the group as a whole. I volunteered to write a statement reflecting my own views and those of some self-identified allies. We then showed the doc to the NCSG as a whole and asked for support.

That's all.  If you don't like the statement, don't endorse it. If you like part of it but not others, file your own comment saying that. Simple as that. No more whining, please.