[NCSG-Discuss] Draft Registrant Rights & Responsibilities

joy joy at apc.org
Wed Mar 6 04:01:53 CET 2013

Thanks Robin - I think calling these "rights" is somewhat misleading-
they are a small set consumer related contractual rights ... and not
particularly strong ones at that. The concept of "registrants rights"
and "responsibilities" in relation to domain names are referred to in
a variety of RFCs (eg 1591) - might be worth considering whether any
of these are relevant
So far as human rights obligations go (due process, privacy, freedom
of association, non-discrimination and so on) - I'm not entirely sure
about relegating these to contractual terms and conditions since my
understanding is that these are obligations which pertain regardless
of private contract via ICANN. I wouldn't want to see these somehow
curtailed or read down by only partial reference or inclusion (as I
have seen happen in other non-ICANN contractual contexts).
Has there been any previous work in NCSG around "registrants rights"
that might help?
Cheers
Joy