[NCSG-Discuss] NCSG members and the closed generic issue

Ron Wickersham rjw at ITSMYINTERNET.ORG
Tue Mar 5 08:45:19 CET 2013

On Tue, 5 Mar 2013, Avri Doria wrote:

> Hi,
>
> A couple of quick points.  I just drank a bunch of coffee (maybe .5 l) because I have a bunch of work to do before I sleep.  So should be focused elsewhere, however ..., who can focus?
>
> I agree that the topic is complex, the problem is the current event is binary - either the Board will allow private gTLDs as expected for years by many of us or they will be stopped as some are advocating.  To me that means that this an occasion for advocacy and not for careful academic discussion - there will be time enough for that as the future unfolds.

hi Avri,

as a binary function, you have my complete support for expanding the gTLD
zoo, i am opposed to stopping their deployment.    did you intentionally
introduce "private" gTLDs and i'm not sure i understand the precise
definition of private in this context.

> In rereading the statement looking for offensiveness, i do not see some of the elements you see.  Certainly the language is a little stronger than I normally sign on to, but I do not find any occasion of personal attack. No names are named or even hinted at.  Rather I think it is attacking the arguments and the attitudes.  While calling them hysterical is a bit blunt, honestly, sometimes the prophesies of Internet doom really do seem a bit exaggerated.
>
> Certainly if there are changes that could be made that would allow you to sign it, please let Milton, the holder of the virtual pen know.  Otherwise, I would very much welcome seeing a more academic statement on the complexities also submitted. I might even sign that one too.

i will take up your suggestion.

> Finally I have never seen the harm in letting the world see our hanging laundry.  We are not one of those tightly controlled SGs that do what our beloved leader tells us to do.  We do not have the unified front our sister SG in the NCPH often shows.  We are a group that has a multitude of positions; sometimes strong ones.  And when we disagree, we disagree in public.  That, for me, makes the times we do reach consensus so much more important. And so much more powerful.

i appreciate the perspective and will try to keep that in mind as i
digest future discourse.

still, i'm a big fan of consensus regardless of it's ineffeciency in
rapid resolution of a final position.   without putting words in your
mouth, i sense you work hard to achieve consensus.

-ron