[NCSG-Discuss] FYI: The ALAC statement on closed generics

David Cake dave at DIFFERENCE.COM.AU
Tue Mar 5 03:13:14 CET 2013

I find this statement very reasonable.

My position on closed TLDs is quite similar to ALACs as expressed here - I find the case for closed TLDs that exist simply for to gain a commercial advantage (even a relatively minor one) by privileged access to a generic term very weak, but I can certainly think of many cases where innovative uses of TLD may be best achieved by it being closed in the sense required by ICANN.

I read this statement, in the second last paragraph, as being broadly supportive of something resembling the PIC, without committing to that particular implementation or process. Would that be a reasonable reading?

Regards

David