[NCSG-Discuss] Should NCSG consider filing an ombudsman complaint against ICANN senior staff for violating the organization's policy development process?

Robin Gross robin at IPJUSTICE.ORG
Tue Mar 26 20:14:34 CET 2013

I think NCSG should consider filing an ombudsman complaint against
the organization's senior management for violating the organization's
policy development process by adopting staff's "strawman solution"
which never went through proper process (or any process for that
matter).

The most dangerous part of staff's adopted proposal creates
unprecedented new rights for trademark holders with this "once
infringed" theory of new rights to TM+50 derivations of that mark.
This particular proposal was stitched together by TM lobbyists and
staff when NCSG wasn't even in the room - because it was 10pm at
night in LA and I had left for my flight on staff's assurances that
no policy discussions would take place that evening.  ALAC wasn't in
the room either (although Evan & Alan participated remotely on the
phone in the middle of their night).

The GNSO Council said don't adopt this policy.

ICANN staff admitted the proposal was a policy decision and not an
implementation decision - a key distinction in staff's ability to
make decisions. [Although the first time staff published its report
on the mtg's discussion of that proposal, staff's blog report
differed from what the CEO stated to meeting participants and said
this proposal had been characterized as an "implementation" decision
by mtg participants.  It took some persistence and insistence from
mtg participants to correct staff's blog post and classify this
proposal as "policy" - which was the truth of what the LA mtg
participants had said.  Finally staff gave-in, as I was not the only
one to complain about the inaccurate reporting, and they changed the
web-posting to reflect that the group - and staff - had classified
this proposal as "policy, and not implementation" at the LA mtg.  The
CEO apologize for staff's "mistake".  I'm sure it's all another
coincidence...]

The CEO told Congress only a few weeks' previously that ICANN could
not adopt such a policy - in part because it creates new rights (and
ICANN isn't supposed to creating new rights).

The above doesn't even go into the underlying substance of the
particular (TM+50) proposal (which turns trademark law on its head).
How is anyone going to criticize a company or product that was "found
to abused" by someone else, somewhere else, in an entirely unrelated
circumstance?  This proposal actually thumbs its nose at trademark
law because trademark law recognizes that "once infringed" does not
create some magical new category of rights that is allowed to trample
on the expression rights of all the innocent and lawful uses of a
word (that resembles a trademark).  But I'll save the complaints
about how nonsensical the substance of this proposal is for another
email.  This email is just about the insanity of ICANN senior staff
attempting to usurp the bottom-up policy development process to
appease powerful political interests.

If ICANN staff refuses to follow the organization's own stated
policies, the Ombudsman is supposed to be able to intercede, no?

Best,
Robin

IP JUSTICE
Robin Gross, Executive Director
p: +1-415-553-6261    f: +1-415-462-6451
w: http://www.ipjustice.org     e: robin at ipjustice.org