[NCSG-Discuss] Public interest principles

Maria Farrell maria.farrell at GMAIL.COM
Fri Mar 15 17:18:45 CET 2013

Hi all,

Following this week's NCSG policy call, wherein I kind of dumped Wendy in
it for yet another drafting job ... I am putting together a rough draft of
points we might include in a list of 'what are the actual public interest
principles that should be used in policy/decision-making at ICANN?'.

I'm going through the Independent Objector's recent writings, and started
off with Wendy's laundry list of " due process, human rights,
representation and participation". And I'll take the opportunity to remind
myself of the relevant parts of the bylaws.

So that's a good start.

I think there should also be something about the openness of the Internet,
the end to end principle (though more in the generic and, ahem, principled
sense than in the strict sense of network architecture), including
universal resolvability & global interoperability.

I'm suddenly finding it hard to articulate this, even though it's the
reason I joined ICANN in the first place. I mean the almost aesthetic - but
deeply political - way that ICANN is supposed to be part of an Internet
built on an open architecture. Finer minds have expressed this better but I
am stumped to remember where. Does anyone have any suggestions?

(Milton, I am looking at you.)

Maria