[NCUC-DISCUSS] Out of contact

Tapani Tarvainen ncuc at tapani.tarvainen.info
Thu Jun 27 14:20:31 CEST 2013

On Jun 27 12:30, Nuno Garcia (ngarcia at ngarcia.net) wrote:

> Last year, Konstantinos resigned and he was EC Chair. So David was proposed
> (I don't remember by whom), and we all second the proposal, so he
> eventually was nominated chair.

The resignation of the Chair *is* explicitly covered by the bylaws:
the EC selects new Chair.

> So, in my point of view, I propose that the second most voted member for
> Asia takes place over Norbert.

That would be Mary Wong. If she's still willing and able to do it,
I'd be very happy with this proposal.

> If there was no other candidate, I propose the chair nominates
> someone to fill in the position, and this be voted among EC members.

That works for me, too.

> The term is very short, and if you are going to have elections again for
> this position, it will be a month before someone starts the job.

Yes.

> Finally, I advise to change the bylaws as to allow the second most voted
> (and third and so on) to be automatically nominated in case of position
> vacancy.

I like that, too, however we've often had such a shortage of
candidates that it would not always solve the problem
(no second choice for North America or Latin America
and only one alternative for Asia this year, for example).

--
Tapani Tarvainen