[NCUC-DISCUSS] I may need some guidance at Durban

Marc Perkel marc at churchofreality.org
Mon Jul 8 05:59:29 CEST 2013

The whole reality thing has been kind of amazing. It first started in
1998 one night when I was stoned and thinking about religion and was
thinking, "If there were such a thing as the one true religion, what
would that look like?" So I thought - "Well, it would be the one that
believed in what was real." And then the name "Church of Reality" came
to mind. At first I didn't think it was more than a thought experiment.
In fact it took me 5 years of working on the idea before I started
seeing it call come into place myself.

Now it's more like an emergent property of the universe. It's not like
I'm inventing a religion but discovering something. Humanity has evolved
and our technology has created the internet where a lot of minds and
ideas are interacting. We are figuring out who we are, what we are,
where we have been, and where we are going.

I see humanity as being at a transition point. Sort of like a
caterpillar turning into a butterfly. We are changing from traditional
evolution to a form of engineered evolution where through genetic
engineering and computer technology we are going to design what we are
going to evolve into. And in order to do that we have to understand what
we are and where we should be going from a scientific context.

The Internet is part of that evolution. First we invent the transistor,
then logic circuits, then the microprocessor. Then we network computers
and create new layers of complexity. People all over the world are
freely interacting with each other in a global neural network that is an
external mind that we all share. And ICANN is at the core of this
evolution and when we think of governing the internet we are writing the
operating system for humanity.

Thus - the work we are doing here might be far far more important that
we realize. This might become a model for a central world government
that might become an inevitable consequence of the internet continuing
to grow and evolve.

There are at least two paradigms taking place. There's the liberty and
freedom model. And there's another model run by a plutocracy where a
small number of super rich take over the world and enslave the rest of
us. That is the world of NSA spying where there are two classes of
people, the watchers and the watched. It's the Orwellian totalitarian
society that science fiction has been warning us about.

I'm anticipating the "watchers" are going to try to make a move to take
over ICANN. It's our job to make sure that doesn't happen. We need to
collectively understand the importance of the internet to the positive
evolution of the human race and to create and protect its
infrastructure. Hyper evolution can lead to extinction if we don't fully
think this through - understand where we are - and what we need to do to
get to where we need to be.

Reality is tricky stuff. But we don't want to piss off Darwin. Darwin
wiped out the dinosaurs for failing to develop a space program. :)