[NCUC-DISCUSS] The Surprising History of Copyright and The Promise of a Post-Copyright World

Dan Krimm dan at musicunbound.com
Mon Jul 8 04:55:00 CEST 2013

In between the censorship origins and the present, there was a revolt in
Britain in the 1600's.  (Philosopher John Locke was a prominent member of
it.)  The copyright statute expired and was not immediately replaced, not
for several years (roughly a decade?).

The compromise was to understand that there *was* creative value that was
not being expressed in a working market (what modern economists call
"positive externalities"), and there was a legitimate justification for
some sort of property rights to accrue to creative work, in order that
*society* should have such work created in proportion to its actual demand.
(Without such rights, the market would under-provision such work.  In
short, the market would fail.)

However the new paradigm put forth in the Statute of Anne put the creators
(authors) first, not the publishers.  Also, there were limits placed on
these rights, both in terms of time limits (so as to ultimately create a
valuable public domain), and in terms of exceptions to the rights (when
they collide with rights to free expression, etc. -- i.e., leading to
concepts such as fair use and fair dealing).  This was the origin of the
principle of balance in copyright.

That is the paradigm we struggle to maintain these days with regard to
balance of rights.  Maximalists are not satisfied with balance.  They want
one-sided dominance.  We must not allow that to happen.

At the same time, I would not personally support outright abolition of
copyright unless pure maximalism (permanent rights with no exceptions) were
literally the only other option provided to us.  I speak as a creator (one
of my other hats): music composer, performer, producer.  If not for rabid
ideology and dysfunctional politics, I am convinced it would be possible to
come to a reasonable middle position on balance of rights that makes sense
in the digital era (hint: relax the idea of *control* over duplication and
focus more on *revenue* from service models that need not control
duplication -- more about the performance rights that emerged out of the
copyright tradition, less about the initial origins in
duplication/distribution control).

I am not in favor of a post-copyright world.  I believe it *is* possible to
fix it without discarding it entirely.  But perhaps the term should be
changed, since it's no longer really about "copy" rights anymore.  It's
more basically about *remuneration* rights, and remuneration can come from
sources other than control over duplication/distribution, but still in a
market context rather than a government subsidy.

Dan

PS:  It should be noted, most of the IP-related issues at ICANN are not
related to copyright.  They address mostly trademark rights, which are
different, and in the US those rights even derive from a different part of
the Constitution.

--
Any opinions expressed in this message are those of the author alone and do
not necessarily reflect any position of the author's employer.