[NCSG-Discuss] CISPA 2.0

Dan Krimm dan at MUSICUNBOUND.COM
Tue Jan 29 05:25:24 CET 2013

The deep history of copyright from Europe begins in an extension of feudal
power to the new post-Gutenberg publishing industry (publishing monopoly in
return for monarchal censorship power).  But in England in the 1600 there
was a rebellion against the maximalist stance (monopoly of the Stationers
Company -- John Locke was part of the revolt) and it was reframed in the
Statute of Anne to derive from the authors (not the editors/publishers --
sort of a "grand compromise").  The US version derives from the Anglo
version.  There was also a French version that focused even more on
authors' moral rights, but that can be overdone IMHO (more prone to
maximalist tendencies).  Anglo-American tradition is more utilitarian, up
until the last couple decades.

In some sense we have returned to the more feudal beginnings, before the
revolt of the Enlightenment.  Back in 2005 Robin introduced me to a great
book describing current status: 'Information Feudalism' by Peter Drahos
with John Braithwaite.  Great read for understanding what we're up against,
still.

Dan

--
Any opinions expressed in this message are those of the author alone and do
not necessarily reflect any position of the author's employer.