[NCSG-Discuss] NCSG Questions & Concerns for our Representatives on the Accountability & Transparency Review Team (ATRT2)

marie-laure Lemineur mllemineur at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jan 24 10:14:04 CET 2013

Dear Maria,

This is indeed a very good question. I am not sure either it falls
completely within the ATRT2 scope, while others  might know,  but it
certainly is an interesting key aspect and deserves to be paid
attention. I would have to think about it thouroughly before I provide
a detailed and informed answer.  Nevertheless, right now as an initial
 reaction when I read your question, I could say that a first thought
that came to my mind has been to visualize the potential threats that
the equal/multi stakeholder model could face (something we definitely
do no want to happen) in case of an early participation at all levels
of the GAC if it was not well-framed, monitored and articulated.

Many have identified key principles governing the good management of
multi-stakeholder initiatives. I have drawn from a pool of 7
principles identified by the Global Knowledge Partnership, the
following ones that I find particularly relevant in the context of
your question:

•Multi-stakeholder ICT partnerships work best when they mutually
reinforce the interests of all partners.
•Successful partnerships are built on complementary competencies and
resources that, in combination, meet the parameters of some strategic
design.
•The resources and competencies contributed to the partnership should
be drawn from as close as possible to the core ‘business’ of the
partner organizations.

In our case, it seems to me that key words are "complementary
competencies and resources" and "core business". We need to understand
what is the core business of the GAC as well as the GAC needs to
understand AND ACCEPT the core business of the GNSO and its
constituencies.

Also, it seems to me that some of our community members need to avoid
seeing the GAC and the government's reps as "the enemy" but rather as
a partner we have to work with,  even if sometimes, we have
contradictory positions.  This is certainly what my focus would be.

That would it for the moment. I hope this helps.

Best regards,