[NCSG-Discuss] NCSG Questions & Concerns for our Representatives on the Accountability & Transparency Review Team (ATRT2)

Avri Doria avri at ACM.ORG
Tue Jan 22 20:42:50 CET 2013

Hi,

On 22 Jan 2013, at 13:49, Milton L Mueller wrote:

> How do either of the two candidates view the question of an independent review system, or more broadly the role of a "judicial branch"  in ICANN's governance structure?

I am personally surprised the Independent Review Panel mechanisms have been use so rarely.  I would like to understand why.

I think it is important, and though I understand that California law prohibits binding decisions, I think it a reasonable expectation that the board should adhere to their decisions.

I think it is important that it be independent.

I don't see it as a judicial branch, with all the baggage that brings, but do see it as an adjudicating mechanism.

In terms of appeals mechanisms (judicial system) in general, I have doubts as to how well such necessary mechanisms work at ICANN.

Thanks

avri