At Large White Paper

Edward Morris edward.morris at ALUMNI.USC.EDU
Thu Jan 3 01:04:15 CET 2013

Hi Mary,

Thanks for your hard work in drafting the comment. I echo your hope that
the noncommercial community will become more active "on all policy fronts"
in the near future, and from a NCUC perspective hope to have an
organisational and communication proposal out for comment in the next week
that I hope will help our Constituency do just that.

Please add me as a signatory to your comment.

I agree with you that the ALAC White Paper is a decent "starting point" for
conversation,  and that  the establishment of a cross community working
group to examine some of these macro issues is an appropriate first step.
Some of the White Paper I find a bit simplistic ( blanket statements
concerning public opinion with no readily evident empirical basis,
generalisation's about ICANN's remit which do not conform in entirety to
the AoC) and a few of the recommendations, mostly ones that give ALAC
greater institutional powers,  I strongly oppose. There are also issues
concerning ICANN's remit and place in the evolving internet (from greater
oversight of tertiary domains to affirmative obligations under
international law to prevent dns based cyber conflict) that also need to be
considered and evaluated on a community wide basis.

That said, your comment does not preclude consideration of additional
issues nor advocates agreement with specific White Paper recommendations.
Rather, and appropriately, it imperatively calls for community wide
consideration of the White Paper and discussion of the issues raised
therein, and some not, in an effort to strengthen ICANN's structure and
status in the changing digital environment. Perfect and proper. Thanks for
piecing this together during such a hectic period and, as mentioned, please
add my name in support of your submission.

Regards,

Edward Morris