[NCSG-Discuss] [] Invitation to March 4, 2013 Community Consultation on Proposed Changes to the New gTLD Registry Agreement

Avri Doria avri at ACM.ORG
Thu Feb 28 10:33:20 CET 2013

Hi,

NCSG did not submit a comment on this call^, but I recommend that we review the comments and participate in this teleconference and then look into submitting a reply before the 27 March deadline..

I have tentatively put myself down to take responsibility for this*, but on second thought, since I  advise an applicant registry,  may not be the most impartial - though of course I try.

I think the issue is interesting and I have been following it with interest.

My quick cheat sheet analysis:

- ICANN staff has changed the proposed contract for new registries
- ICANN could claim that contracts are pure implementation, but they have  a comment process

- There was a presumption during the policy process for continuation of Registry contracts that were subject to change only after PDP consensus process

- the new contract essentially eliminates the picket fence** protection for registries,
- this means that ICANN can change the material conditions of the contract anytime it wants without the annoying intervention of a PDP Consensus decision

- GAC, ALAC and others have been advocating an ICANN regime where, as they sometimes  put it, the contracted parties don't have a veto over changes to the regulations.
- Registries who would have accept the unusual conditions of a contract that can be changed without a bilateral renegotiation beleive this makes doing business a whole lot harder.

- With this contract change, the GAC and ALAc have achieved one of their important goals,
- but this only applies to new gTLDs, the incumbents will, I beleive, remain under the previous contracts. At least until they need to renegotiate their contracts.

It is of course more complicated than this.  I too suggest people participate in this call and discussion as this is a rather big issue for ICANN and the whole method by which the GNSO works.

avri

^ https://www.icann.org/en/news/announcements/announcement-3-05feb13-en.htm
* https://community.icann.org/display/gnsononcomstake/Public+Comments-Current
** picket fence for those who don't know more than I do: defines s et of condition in the contract that can be changed  by ICANN consensus policy, while all other conditions remain as bilaterally agreed.