[NCSG-Discuss] Closed Generics - a letter together

McTim dogwallah at GMAIL.COM
Mon Feb 25 21:21:07 CET 2013

On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 3:06 PM, Kristina Macaulay <kristinamac at mac.com>wrote:

> Hi Milton,
>
> I will attempt to respond how I see this as a long-term issue.
>
> If you have a domain name, well that is not the same to a gTLD.

What MM is saying is that it is merely a label in the domain name tree.  In
that respect they are functionally equivalent, no?

> The ownership of a gTLD is exclusive to the terms of use of the gTLD.

Same as in a 2nd level domain.

> If the gTLD is for closed generic use, then the gTLD will only be used by
> an organisation for their purposes.

Yes, this is the defintion of a closed TLD.

> How you chose to use your domain name, is subjective to that one domain,
> unless you are on the reserved list, and have privileges of unique usage.
> example "red cross".

Milton's point, which is indisputable, is that the same can be said for "
internetgovernance.org"

> However a gTLD, is a fixed definite in the english language there will
> only be one .book.

You are making MM's argument for him!

> It gives an exclusive right, as the reserved list does to the word
> association with "red cross". If you consider the arguments around who has
> the right over the word "olympic" "red cross" then the same argument is
> applied to the gTLD.
>
> I have provide an angle of approach.

I remain unconvinced.

The facts are that some TLD are open, some were closed, but are now open
(think .org and .net), some are partly closed (.museum, .int, etc), and
some will probably always be closed (.$BRAND).

What we should focus on are the criteria by which exceptions are evaluated,
as this seems to me to be a policy matter, and not a staff decision.

--
Cheers,

McTim