[NCSG-Discuss] The Board, IGO entitlement to special protections and 28 Feb

Avri Doria avri at ACM.ORG
Thu Feb 14 14:01:05 CET 2013

Hi,

(report while listening to the g-council meeting)

And as RCRC and IOC have already been granted the special protections, at least temporarily*, we are seeing all sorts of organization who claim to have the same or greater merit for such protections.  If the Board grants temporary* special protections to IGOs, contrary to previous GNSO action** to postpone the work, the clarion call will be even greater.

Today, Thomas gave a fair review of the situation in the PDP WG, though he does maintain the postion, that the letter to the Board should indicate that the GNSO supports the temporary* reservations.

David Cake spoke on the NCSG position on the issue.

avri

* "nothing so permanent as a temporary solution" not sure of the origin of this quote.

**  or perhaps inaction - history

GNSO 20070627-3
"The GNSO Council thanks the Staff for the Issues Report on dispute handling for IGO names and abbreviations.
The council accepts the recommendation that a PDP not be initiated at this time, and that the staff continue as proposed in the issues report on page 16.
The council requests that the staff report back to the council within 3 months. The council will reconsider creating a PDP at that time."

GNSO 20071120-1 - Postponed a decsion to intiate a PDP until a later time

and it appears the council did not get back to it until 2012 and this PDP.