[NCSG-Discuss] new-gtld-committee-not-sure-how-to-handle-closed-generic-applications

Carl Smith lectriclou at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Feb 7 15:43:42 CET 2013

I for one, hope that your opinion is correct.  History tells us that the
tides of progress rise and fall.   We now are at a time where commercial
interests across the world are seeking complete dominance of every
aspect to the daily lives of the powerless masses.  I for one have had
an abundance of liberty in my life.  As I grew to appreciate the breadth
of diversity of ideas and cultures in the world, I came to admire the
multifaceted beauty of it all.  If with careful attention to detail,
this jewel be polished with the mind of Justice and Liberty, it becomes
an emblem of all that is true.  May we all see a larger picture.

Lou

On 2/7/2013 12:23 AM, Dan Krimm wrote:
> [...]
>>> Smith was the only one in the world who could be allowed to use John Smith
>>> in any phone book and by extension in any other listing of phone numbers.
>>> How many John Smiths would be prohibited from having the equal right to list
>>> their own given name in possibly any way?  If we are still  intent on using
>>> generics, we would need some kind of delimiter to differentiate between
>>> others who should have the right to use the common language they know and
>>> understand.  In this case, only one specific delimiter would need be unique.
>>> That delimiter should be the only thing owned to identify the specific
>>> individual.  With the postal system, for instance, the address.  Some people
>>> own an address.  Often the address may be rented or least.  But the complete
>>> address is the only unique entity involved and not each of the generic words
>>> of which it is composed.  The ownership of words will certainly lead to
>>> commercial oppression of individuals all over the world.  Let us look to a
>>> wider picture of circumstances of what we do lest we find a huge problem in
>>> the future.  Commercial interest's greatest wet dream is to have a monopoly.
>>> Is that what we are willing to accept?
>>>
>>> Lou
>>>

>>> On 2/6/2013 3:15 PM, Milton L Mueller wrote:
>>>

>>> I stand ready to be educated by those with different views.
>>>

>>> OK. Here is a different view.
>>>

>>> It is not a free speech issue at all. It is a vertical integration or
>>> business  model issue, exclusively. Some registries want to create a
>>> specific image or environment inside a particular TLD. Those registries are
>>> not trying to sell domain name registrations per se, they are selling or
>>> doing other things with the domain, perhaps even giving domains away to
>>> promote a service. They might also use their authority to control
>>> registrations to prevent speculators from grabbing all the "good" names, or
>>> to impose a taxonomy on the second level, or to prevent undesirable types
>>> from squatting or tarnishing the overall image of the domain.
>>>

>>> Other registries want to maximize the number of registrations under a TLD.
>>> In that case, it makes sense to be "open". In other words, if you are a
>>> registrar and want to sell hundreds of thousands or millions of domains to
>>> whoever will buy them for whatever reason, then you want "open" or FCFS
>>> TLDs.
>>>

>>> Not surprisingly, the real push for "open" and against "closed" TLDs is
>>> coming from traditional registrars who want all the potentially popular
>>> domains to be available for them to exploit as registrars. The free speech
>>> and competition policy claims are pure diversions.
>>>

>>> Take .BOOK for example. If someone wants to open that up for anyone on a
>>> first-come, first-served basis, there are advantages and disadvantages.
>>> Sure, I could register networksandstates.book in an open domain, if I wanted
>>> to. But someone else might register it before me, or someone might register
>>> nonfiction.books (so there's that "terrible" appropriation of a generic term
>>> again). Wrose, 600 different link farms might appropriate other generic