[NCSG-Discuss] new-gtld-committee-not-sure-how-to-handle-closed-generic-applications

Edward Morris edward.morris at ALUMNI.USC.EDU
Wed Feb 6 01:22:58 CET 2013

Hello,

I wish there had been a prohibition against closed generic TLDs in the
Applicant Guidebook. It's a bit of a classic free expression versus
property rights issue to me. I tend to lean towards free speech in such
conflicts. There was no such prohibition.

As issues arise I hope to be pretty consistent in wanting to apply the
Guidebook, as written, evenly,  across all applications. There is already
going to be enough litigation with the new gTLD program and we might want
to learn from the .XXX merriment about changing things midstream. Of
course, I think we already have evidence the Board is not very good in
applying the lessons of history.

I stand ready to be educated by those with different views.

Ed Morris