[NCSG-Discuss] On Diversity and Discrimination

David Cake dave at DIFFERENCE.COM.AU
Mon Feb 4 05:59:50 CET 2013

On 31/01/2013, at 10:03 PM, Marc Perkel <marc at CHURCHOFREALITY.ORG> wrote:

> I agree on interest diversity. Third world view needs representation. I'm from West Virginia, kind of third world if you've ever been there. NGOs, education, Libertarians, genius geeks, and hookers. Hookers are always being discriminated against.

	I have friends who run sex worker activism NGOs (including one that is sex worker run by charter). Next time I see them I'll ask if they want to join NCUC. I think they'd be perfectly welcome here, and would fit in, but I'm not sure how much of a policy priority ICANN issues might be for them (but hey, .xxx, IFFOR, legal restrictions on advertising in some jurisdictions, etc - maybe they do have enough to justify their participation, I don't know).

> But - I agree with the premise about a broad range of ideas. But I'm not sure that the source of broad range means gender/sexual preferences/ or the frequencies of light reflected off the surface of the skin. Especially since we communicate by email, I have no idea what color anyone is, nor do I care. If we go back 75,000 years we all come from Africa and humans are less genetically diverse than my 3 cats.

	The actual ICANN requirements (and requirements within this group) are for geographic diversity. I represented the Asia/Pacific on our EC for a while, and as it happens I'm a white guy - but I do actually live in Australia, which is in that region, and so satisfy the requirements. Norbert has replaced me. He is also a white guy. He lives in Cambodia. Our residency does actually change our perspective, and inform our participation.

On 31/01/2013, at 11:11 PM, Marc Perkel <marc at CHURCHOFREALITY.ORG> wrote:
> I think my definitions of diversity are more relevant than the traditional one in this context.

	I do not. I think both your definitions of diversity and the traditional ones, however you define them, are equally irrelevant, neither more relevant than the other.
	What are more relevant than either are the rules that actually apply within the ICANN world, the most significant of which is geographic diversity.

	Cheers
		David