[NCSG-Discuss] A Question

Edward Morris edward.morris at ALUMNI.USC.EDU
Mon Feb 11 04:02:00 CET 2013

Hi Avri,

Please forgive me if I'm missing something.

As you may be aware,  I'm not on the private mailing lists that seems to be
the place so much goes on in this rarified IG world. I still do get sent
bits and pieces but not enough to follow everything.  If you're confused I
understand: I did join one of the lists until I felt my values of
transparency and openness were being compromised. I delisted. For better or
for worse, I believe our members should be able to monitor everything we do
in this sphere. My loyalty is to them, no one else. Democratic
accountability is another issue I'm big on, which is why I need to ask you
a few things.

I applaud you for all the work you did on the ICANN based website. Someday
I hope to have your time management skills. I'm having difficulty keeping
up with my email, never mind doing a web site revamp by myself. Your work
ethic is pretty remarkable and I admire you for it.

Might I ask, though,  where you derived your authority to make some
editorial changes to the website?

I'm not looking to talk policy here, merely ensuring democratic
accountability. A lot of what you did was mere housekeeping and all I can
do is thank you for that. Not all of it though. You've disappeared my
Constituency, that is the NCUC, in a few places. We have an e-platform
committee (although you missed our first meeting, I know you signed up to
be a valued member on it and look forward to working with you there) and
we're still trying to sort out how we want to use Confluence (the ICANN web
platform). We're also trying to sort out what to do with our PC, both now
and in the future. I also believe NPOC might have been disappeared here and
there. ( I'm sorry Allain and friends, I have enough trouble keeping track
of my stuff never mind yours. Hopefully I'm mistaken). Obviously this work
was done on the NCSG site, where NPOC and NCUC are members.

You also appear to have put an interpretation online as fact regarding what
and from whom Fadi has requested "cheat sheets" from. I wouldn't call them
"cheat sheets", in the corporate world we call them Executive Summaries. I
think you know that some of us have a disagreement with you and some others
as to whom Fadi asked to produce the Executive Summaries. I clearly believe
these were intended to be done at the Constituency level and I believe you
disagree. That's fine. I just see no record on any public list showing me
that the different perspectives have been debated, evaluated and that a
final decision has been made on this matter that our members can hold us
responsible for next fall.

Again, Avri, I don't want to discuss policy in this post. I'm just trying
to sort out where all these changes came from. You mention the NCSG Policy
Committee. Was there a recent meeting I'm unaware of where these issues
were decided and you were told to change the website accordingly? Did my
friends on the NCSG EC authorize these changes? Could I have missed any
discussion on the NCUC lists? Was there authorization on a private list
and, if so, can we get that on a public list so at the very least I, as an
elected representative on the NCUC for North America, know how all this
policy was made and know who supported what? If there wasn't any such
discussion can we please revert the pages at issue to their former selves
until those elected and appointed to deliberate and authorize these
decisions have done so? I don't question that the policy outcome may be
that which you desire. This, however, is similar to the implementation /
policy debate we're having with ICANN. Who authorized these changes to the
website you have implemented?

As this is on our general list, I need to make it known to those who don't
know us that Avri is an amazing person who has contributed more than I ever
could hope to to this whole IG process. The post isn't about her or me or
 the issues involved, it's about democracy and transparency. I regret to
tell everyone that I was part of some of these private discussions that
seem to take place in this group. One of the reasons I left those
discussions  is that I figured if I something I didn't understand occurred,
it likely wasn't done properly and I could raise my hand and ask questions.
That's what I'm doing now.

Ed Morris
NCUC-EC (North America)