[NCSG-Discuss] FW: Registrar Accreditation Agreement Negotiation Session

Milton L Mueller mueller at SYR.EDU
Fri Feb 8 15:25:21 CET 2013

Anyone know what these great breakthroughs are in the RAA negotiations?

From: owner-liaison6c at gnso.icann.org [mailto:owner-liaison6c at gnso.icann.org] On Behalf Of Glen de Saint Géry
Sent: Friday, February 08, 2013 4:04 AM
To: liaison6c
Subject: [liaison6c] Registrar Accreditation Agreement Negotiation Session

http://blog.icann.org/2013/02/registrar-accreditation-agreement-negotiation-session/
Registrar Accreditation Agreement Negotiation Session
by Fadi Chehadé on February 7, 2013
Building on the great work that has been achieved to date, yesterday I met with the Registrar Stakeholder Group's Negotiating Team to continue with negotiations toward a new Registrar Accreditation Agreement (RAA). We started the day by affirming our commitment to further, in good faith, a new RAA that will address the needs of the community as well as prepare the Internet domain name system for a new season of growth.
The RAA negotiations provide an important opportunity to carefully balance the various requirements voiced by the ICANN community, as well as to evolve relations with the registrars who are at the frontline delivering the innovation and consumer choice enabled by the new gTLD program.
We discussed several items that had been tabled since this group met last year and made headway in considering additional enhancements that will complete the agreement in a manner that best achieves our goals rooted in the public interest.
We continued to explore how the proposed RAA can be synchronized with the new gTLD Registry Agreement that ICANN published for comment on 5 February 2013. Assuming such alignment, this will bring a more cohesive framework across these agreements.
I will endeavor, with every tool available, to ensure that all agreements with our contracted parties are embraced in the broadest way plausible, and furthermore to support efforts by ICANN as it works to create a level playing field for all participants in this growing sector.
Without compromising any of our principles, we hope to achieve closure as soon as possible. I look forward to continuing this spirited and collaborative dialogue with the registrars as ICANN and the registrars are committed to moving through this process in a deliberative and expeditious way.
[Registrar Accreditation Agreement Negotiation Session]<http://blog.icann.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/raa-negotiation-1000x390-07feb13.png>
Meeting participants (as pictured) include:
Top Row (from left to right):
Margie Milam, Senior Director of Strategic Initiatives, ICANN
Matt Serlin, Registrar Stakeholder Group Chairman, MarkMonitor, Inc.
Jeff Eckhaus, Registrar Stakeholder Group Vice-Chair/CTO, eNom and Demand Media
Fadi Chehadé, President and CEO, ICANN
Rob Hall, Registrar Stakeholder Group, Momentous
Cyrus Namazi, Vice President of DNS Industry Engagement, ICANN
Samantha Eisner, Senior Counsel, ICANN
Bottom Row (from left to right):
Mike Zupke, Director of Registrar Programs, ICANN
Akram Atallah, Chief Operating Officer, ICANN
James Bladel, Registrar Stakeholder Treasurer, GoDaddy, Inc.
Tim Cole, Senior Director of Registrar Relations, ICANN
Not Pictured/Conference Call:
John Jeffrey, General Counsel and Secretary, ICANN
Becky Burr, Advisor to Registrar Stakeholder Group, Neustar, Inc.
Volker Greimann, Registrar GNSO Representative - Europe, Key-Systems GmbH, KeyDrive Group
Reaction from the meeting participants confirming ICANN's commitment to the public interest include:
"Today's session was highly productive and a very encouraging step in the ongoing RAA negotiations we have been undertaking for over a year. We are hopeful for the successful conclusion of these discussions."
- Matt Serlin, Registrar Stakeholder Group Chairman, MarkMonitor, Inc.
"Today was a very productive meeting with Fadi and the ICANN team to discuss the new RAA. I think we made important progress on key issues."
- James Bladel, Registrar Stakeholder Treasurer, GoDaddy, Inc.
"I am impressed with the frankness and openness we had in our discussions today. Fadi, Akram and the entire ICANN team have brought a renewed vigor to our discussions and I believe more progress was made today than in the past 18 months. I am confident we will soon see a new RAA agreement in place."
- Rob Hall, Registrar Stakeholder Group, Momentous
"The resumption of the RAA negotiations today was accompanied by renewed vigor and a very positive direction by all parties. I especially appreciate the new high-level attention and willingness to engage on complicated issues in a reasonable way that the ICANN team has brought to the negotiations at this time. A number of previously immovable boulders have been cleared from the road and significant progress mas made on the remaining areas of discussion. The goal is definitely in sight now."
- Volker A. Greimann, Registrar GNSO Representative - Europe, Key-Systems GmbH, KeyDrive Group
"I believe this meeting was one of the final steps in the negotiation of a new RAA, a difficult but very important process. There are still some issues to resolve, but both sides are working diligently and expect to have an agreement in place in the next few months, to match the timing of the launch of new gTLDs."
- Jeff Eckhaus, Registrar Stakeholder Group Vice-Chair/CTO, eNom and Demand Media
"Fadi rolled up his sleeves, listened to our concerns with an open mind, and worked with us to identify possible solutions. His participation contributed to a respectful exchange that resulted in significant progress on some tough issues and set a constructive tone for the work that remains."
- Becky Burr, Advisor to Registrar Stakeholder Group, Neustar, Inc.

Glen de Saint Géry
GNSO Secretariat
gnso.secretariat at gnso.icann.org<mailto:gnso.secretariat at gnso.icann.org>
http://gnso.icann.org