[NCUC-DISCUSS] Fwd: [ccwg-internet-governance] What is open, what is limited?

Rudi Vansnick rudi.vansnick at isoc.be
Thu Dec 12 09:19:31 CET 2013

Dear Bill,

So far I was registered for the call yesterday but was unable to join the call due to other meetings. I’m happy to step in the fourth position as NPOC representative, which I consider being a normal process to have democratic representation in/from NCSG.

Rudi Vansnick
NPOC chair Policy Committee
NPOC treasurer
rudi.vansnick at npoc.org
Tel : +32 (0)9 329 39 16
Mobile : +32 (0)475 28 16 32
www.npoc.org

Op 12-dec.-2013, om 07:37 heeft William Drake <william.drake at uzh.ch> het volgende geschreven:

> [...]
>>

>> On 11 December 2013 15:31, Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond <ocl at gih.com> wrote:
>> Dear Bill,
>>
>> thanks for this note and apologies for going through this quickly at the end of the call.
>>
>> There are several aspects to our working lists & conference calls and this is what I suggest:
>>
>> Transparency
>> As ICANN is open to all participation and in the interest of transparency, our conference calls as well as our mailing list should be "open" to everyone.
>>
>> Speaking/Writing rights
>> With the premise that anyone can dial in on a conference call and anyone can subscribe to the mailing list (for convenience I figured it would be better to have a mailing list that's open for everyone to subscribe to rather than asking people to read the proceedings on the mailing list's archive) the question then comes to the differentiation between observers and WG members.
>>
>> - Calls
>> Everyone can dial into the call but only officially designated representatives (ie: members of the CCWG) can speak/intervene. People dialled in the call that do not have a right to speak can channel their input through their official representatives. The person Chairing the call & Staff will make sure this guideline is adhered to.
>>
>> - Mailing list
>> Everyone can be subscribed to the mailing list but only Official designated representatives (ie. members of the CCWG) may post to the list. Observers of the CCWG have their "moderation flag on" which means any posting from them will go to the list moderator which at the moment is Staff - so it doesn't get distributed to everyone. Again, this is done in order to have observers channel their input through their designated members.
>> The moderation flag is something which Staff will need to set manually but it is straight forward.
>>
>> In Camera Discussions
>>
>> From time to time, there might be a need for the WG to work "in camera" during a conference call - ie. confidentially. The recording will be stopped and all participants on the call accounted for, with any non WG participants (observers) asked to leave the call. At this stage, I do not expect any "in camera" discussions, but I've said that many times in past working groups until the day when we needed to have such a discussion.
>>
>> We could be picky and give "official observers" a special status so they could remain in the "in camera" discussions if we wanted to.
>>
>> I hope this proposal is satisfactory for everyone. Feedback appreciated.
>>
>> Kindest regards,
>>
>> Olivier
>>

>> On 11/12/2013 18:17, William Drake wrote:
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I’m on Skype with a bunch of people trying to understand what Olivier said quickly at the end of the call and whether it is the group consensus.
>>>
>>> Is the deal that we agree
>>>
>>> 1.  4 designated reps formally on the CWG
>>> 2.  Those reps or their alternates participate in the conference calls