[NCUC-DISCUSS] NCUC Election 2013, Next Steps: Nominations List and Candidate Statements

Walid AL-SAQAF wsaqaf at gmail.com
Mon Dec 2 00:31:36 CET 2013

Dear friends,

Sorry for the delay. Below is my statements with the set of answers. I
thank all in advance for reading it despite its length :) And I look
forward to your feedback and support.

*Statement of Candidacy of Walid Al-Saqaf*

I wish to express my gratitude to Brenden Kuerbis for nominating me and for
all the supporting voices and I gladly accept the nomination for the
Executive Committee, Asia-Pacific region.

*1. Why do you want to serve on the EC?*

I have mainly three points I wish to achieve by serving on EC:

Firstly, I want to work with other members in NCUC to push for the
protection of registrants’ personal data from being revealed to law
enforcement agencies without the domain owner’s permission. We have seen
how much of users’ privacy has been violated in recent months and years. If
we as the NCUC don’t act strongly and raise this issue, who else within
ICANN will? That in specific is one thing I wish to pursue. And I want to
do that because I know from personal experience how ruthless authorities
can sometimes be in trying to pursue the owner of a domain if they are not
happy with what the website publishes. Arab Gulf countries, Syria, Iran,
China and other authoritarian governments in Asia find that tracking and
finding the owner of a dissident domain as an easy way to silence him/her.
While domain owners can use anonymity software to help protect them from
surveillance by state-run ISPs, they are not in control of their WHOIS
information if a request by their government is filed. So I wish to push
for sensible changes that make it possible for users to hide their
information if they wish to do so (even without ordering extra protection)
and protect that information from being revealed to governments to the
extent that international law allows.

Secondly, I also want to push the envelope further in making our mandate
more aggressive when it comes to protecting online free speech,
particularly in relation to Internet filtering by ISPs. I understand we may
be confronted with the usual rhetoric saying that human rights are not
ICANN’s business and that states are sovereign with whatever they want to
do with their national networks. But I believe we at least need to try and
do something about this because we represent users and should therefore
give their interest priority. I believe that we need to keep on pushing and
insisting that we take bolder, more courageous steps to make that happen.
Asia is the region with the highest number of violations when it comes to
filtering of domain names, Internet censorship and other forms of what I
call ‘online oppression’. Why can’t we do something about this? We can
suggest to ICANN that it covers more human rights areas that concern the
general public’s interest for the sake of their security. I am personally
not satisfied with the reaction of ICANN to all those violations against
freedom of expression in recent years and months and some of you remember
the exchange I had with ICANN board members about this topic at ICANN46 in
Beijing. Humans need more than just code and protocols, they need humane
reaction and a forceful stance when the time is right. the Internet was
built on open access to all people of the world. If we keep turning a blind
eye to such grave violations –such as what happened in Jordan lately- with
the justification that those practices are subject to national sovereignty,
I fear that the Internet is already being balkanized before our eyes. I
want to keep on raising the bar and gathering the courage to confront those
challenges more openly. That’s one thing I feel strongly about.

Finally, I wish to refocus and concentrate our efforts to advocate for
positions that help promote access to knowledge and development. We can do
so while being open and outward looking so as to get others from civil
society outside ICANN interested in and supportive of NCUC’s work. I teach
a master class in new media and global journalism and I keep on telling my
students that ICANN is a corporation meant to serve the world and welcomes
input and ideas from outside ICANN. I want to prove that by highlighting
some of positions that we were able to enforce with the help of external
actors.

*2. Provide a brief biography of recent experience, associations, and
affiliations relevant to serving on the Executive Committee. Describe the
relevance of your personal and professional experience to serve on the NCUC
Executive Committee, and identify any conflicts of interests you might
have.*

Having graduated with a B.Sc. degree in computer engineering in 1998, I
started my career as a software developer before switching to journalism a
couple of years later when I became the editor-in-chief of Yemen Times,
Yemen’s most widely read English language newspaper and also managed
Yemen’s first newspaper website YemenTimes.com <http://yementimes.com/> .
In 2005, I moved to the US to write for the Wall Street Journal as an AFPF
Fellow before returning to Yemen and thereafter pursuing my higher studies
in global journalism. In 2007, I started
YemenPortal.net<http://yemenportal.net/>,
Arabic-language news aggregating and search website to highlight the many
news and opinion stories that get sidelined due to the domination of some
major governmental news websites. The website provided a platform for
dissident voices calling for change and an end to corruption, nepotism, and
oppression in Yemen, an Arab country that was ruled by a dictatorship for
over 33 years.

In 2008, the Yemeni regime led by former president Ali Abdullah Saleh,
blocked access to Yemen Portal in 2008 so it cannot be accessed inside
Yemen. In response, I started a project to combat Internet censorship not
only in Yemen, but across the world through a software that I created named
Alkasir <https://alkasir.com/> (see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alkasir),
which is the Arabic word for 'the circumventor'. The software has been
installed over 80,000 in over a hundred countries, allowing activists and
citizens to access news and social media website blocked by authoritarian
regimes such as that of Syria, China, and Iran. My advocacy resulted in
getting a senior TED fellowship in 2012 and becoming part of the Cyber
Stewards Network of The Citizen Lab in Toronto, where I attend the annual
Cyber Dialogue Conference. I regularly take part in Internet conferences
and events such as the Stockholm Internet Forum, Arab IGF, and attended the
2013 IGF in Bali. I am also a member of the IGF’s Dynamic Coalition of
Freedom of Expression, and the IGF Caucus and I am currently doing
extensive research about Internet censorship in the Arab world.

I became quite involved in Internet governance on a regional level by being
part of the Multistakeholder Advisory Group of the Arab
IGF<http://igfarab.org/>and a Fellow of
ICANN <https://icann.org/>. More recently, I co-founded the ISOC-Yemen
Chapter<http://www.internetsociety.org/what-we-do/where-we-work/chapters/yemen-chapter>,
which I currently lead as president.

In 2011, I was appointed as the director of the Master of Global Journalism
at Orebro University in Sweden, where I taught post-graduate journalism
students, some from developing countries, how to utilize the Internet in
investigative journalistic tasks while providing them with skills necessary
to protect themselves from cybersecurity threats. I also founded the Sana'a
Hub <http://www.globalshapers.org/hubs/sanaa> in Yemen as part of the
Global Shapers Community, which is an initiative by the World Economic
Forum<http://weforum.org/>.
I am also the curator of Yemen's first TEDx conference
TEDxSanaa<http://tedxsanaa.com/> and
organized the event for two successive years in 2012, 2013.

I don’t believe I have any conflict of interest. Here’s more:
https://alkasir.com/doc/CV-Walid.pdf

*3. The EC performs several functional responsibilities for the
Constituency.  What level of time commitment can you bring to your EC role
on a weekly and overall basis?  Describe any concerns or limitations on
your ability to attend online meetings of the Executive Committee and ICANN
Meetings in person.*

I will strive to perform my tasks to the best of my ability, and dedicate
as much as I can for EC issues. I can’t guarantee minimum hours per week
particularly in the first quarter of 2014 due to a commitment to finish my
doctoral dissertation, but I can always find ways to finish what I start
even if I have to work harder and compensate at a later date. I am always
for transparency and openness that’s why I’ll be clear and let all know if
I have issues or difficulties. I’m heading to the next Singapore ICANN
Meeting # as an ICANN Fellow and will strive to be at the other meetings
when conditions permit. I will try to bring new perspectives and speak my
mind openly and discuss and share ideas and thoughts with others.

As this is my first ever nomination for an obligation within an ICANN
constituency, I will have a learning curve for sure and if selected, I
shall strive to learn from others and do the best I can, particularly in
the work of NCUC, which I’m passionate about.

*4. Communication with the membership is critical. How would you keep
members apprised of your EC-related activities?*

Email will be the method of choice and regular updates about my EC-related
activities will be sent to members in due course.

*5. How do you foresee NCUC’s function, scale, or role changing in the
future? What areas of ICANN policy, if any, need more attention and why? Be
concise (200 words maximum).*

I can only re-iterate what I mentioned above by emphasizing the need to
raise the privacy issue (WHOIS data protection), freedom of expression and
human rights issues (filtering and censorship) in a more dedicated and
strategic way. I also see the need to expand beyond local meetings and
interact more openly with outsiders and perhaps engage in activities with
the public at various forums that need not be organized by ICANN or the
IGF. I strongly believe that the balance between law enforcement and free
speech and privacy is importance policy issue for ICANN and it needs to be
developed and extensively re-assessed particularly in the wake of the
surveillance schemes happening within nations and across borders. Why? It’s
because people’s trust in the Internet as a means to communicate freely and
privately may erode over time. I think we should not be afraid or hesitant
to keep pressurizing ICANN to do something about it. We may not eventually
succeed but by continuously trying, we are meeting our obligation and
staying true to our principals. We owe that to the users.

Sincerely,

Walid

Walid Al-Saqaf