[NCUC-DISCUSS] Statement of my candidacy to EC Africa

Grace Githaiga ggithaiga at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 3 18:56:09 CET 2013

Dear NCUC members
I am grateful to Rafik for nominating me. Here is my statement.

1.      Why
do you want to serve on the EC?

My interest in wanting to serve in the EC stems
from the fact that I am very interested in civil society participation in not
only ICANN, but also in Internet governance Issues. Further, it is very
important for Africa to have a strong voice in concerns usually raised by civil
society. I have experience in civil society engagement and will bring in
enthusiasm and energy into NCUC. Additionally, I have a feel of CS concerns on
the ground.

2.      Provide
a brief biography of recent experience, associations, and affiliations relevant
to serving on the Executive Committee. Describe the relevance of your personal
and professional experience to serve on the NCUC Executive Committee, and
identify any conflicts of interests you might have.

I am an Associate of
the Kenya ICT Action Network (KICTANet) where I coordinate various Network debates
and events that touch on policy and regulation in Internet governance matters. I
have been involved in organizing the Kenya IGF, East Africa IGF, Africa IGF and
the global IGF that took place in Kenya in 2011. I am an alumni of DIPLO and have
taken the time to consolidate my interests in internet governance academically
and published on the same. I have also been an ICANN fellow twice.

Currently I am the
Africa's Civil Society Representative to the Working Group on Enhanced
Cooperation on the Commission on Science and Technology for Development (CSTD).
 I have vast experience in civil society engagement in both ICTs and
media.

Additionally, I am
currently coordinating consolidating civil society input and analysis on the AU
convention expected to be signed in January 2014.

3. The EC performs several functional
responsibilities for the Constituency.  What level of time commitment
can you bring to your EC role on a weekly and overall basis?

 I will dedicate my time as
required by the NCUC and in times when not available, I will endeavor to inform
the rest of the members in good time. In other words, I am committing to be
available.

4. Communication with the membership is
critical. How would you keep members apprised of your EC-related activities?

I belong to multiple lists that
discuss internet governance issues. I will therefore utilize them to share
critical information as well as keep interested stakeholders apprised on the
happenings of NCUC.

5. How do you foresee NCUC’s function,
scale, or role changing in the future? What areas of ICANN policy, if any, need
more attention and why? Be concise (200 words maximum).

NCUC as a structure will step up its
role in giving voice and representation to civil society or the non profits and
humanize the technical aspects and users rights. For example in the New gTLD
programme, NCUC will need to focus and make it a social concern before going
into technical issues. Additionally, NCUC will need to interrogate the costs
involved and how more users can benefit.
RgdsGrace