[NCUC-DISCUSS] NCUC Bylaws Revision

Edward Morris edward.morris at alumni.usc.edu
Thu Aug 22 16:56:31 CEST 2013

Hello everybody,

As summer winds down your Executive Committee is planning on undertaking
what is perhaps the biggest challenge it has faced this year: the revision,
updating and rewriting of the bylaws that govern your Constituency. To do
so successfully we respectfully request your assistance.

The revision is needed. Our current Bylaws do not reflect the reality of
our Constituency or the ICANN of today. That’s no one’s fault, it is merely
the reflection of the rapidly changing environment in which we find
ourselves. We need to adapt the Bylaws to better reflect who we are as a
Constituency and to meet certain guidelines ICANN intends to promulgate and
enforce concerning Constituency governing documents.

There is a lot of work to be done and the decisions we make together will
help shape who we are and what we do as a community.

For example, we have a policy committee that is currently inactive with a
structure that does not fit comfortably into today’s ICANN. Do we want to
do policy at the Constituency level? If so, how do we structure our efforts
in this regard?  How exactly will we develop policy, if we intend to do so,
and how can we do so in a way that truly complements and strengthens
noncommercial policy efforts at the SG level?

What about the Executive Committee itself? Should we continue to be elected
as regional delegates selected by the Constituency as a whole? Is there a
better model? What about diversity? Is there a governing model that will
allow us to better reflect our membership?  Is that a goal we should even
try to attain? If so, how?

These are among the many issues that need to be debated, that need to be
resolved, before we can present a comprehensive revised bylaws document to
the community for approval. We have an ambitious timetable for doing so,
but one that is obtainable with the help and support of you, our members.
With your help we hope to be able to present a revised NCUC Bylaws document
to you for your approval during the December election period.

We’re asking those willing and able to help in this endeavor to please join
us by signing up to be a member of the NCUC Bylaws Revision Committee. You
can do so by going here : http://www.ncuc.org/Bylaws-Revision-Committee and
subscribing to the Committee mailing list.

We will be starting our work remotely in early September and expect to
finish the revised document during an all day session in Buenos Aires on
Friday 15 November. The final session will feature full Adobe remote
capability so that those who can not be with us in Argentina will be able
to fully participate in the final drafting session.

A revised and current Bylaws is essential if our Constituency is to both
stabilize and grow. With your help, we look forward to producing a document
that will proudly reflect the considered intellect and capabilities of our
Constituency and allow us to better and more effectively function within
the wider ICANN community.

Kind Regards,

Edward Morris

Tapani Tarvainen