[NCUC-DISCUSS] Registrants Rights and Responsibilities: let's propose a real alternative

Timothe Litt litt at acm.org
Wed Apr 10 13:25:09 CEST 2013

> "As mentioned there is an existing document on the ICANN website that relates to the 2009 version for the RAA.
>
> "Registrant Rights and Responsibilities Under the 2009 Registrar Accreditation Agreement" http://www.icann.org/en/resources/registrars/registrant-rights-responsibilities
> Does Wendy's list and subsequent discussion provide a basis for responding to this?

Wendy's list + my previous notes are necessary, but not sufficient.
They are incremental to current understandings/practice, and are hardly
comprehensive.

I took a brief look at the referenced URL.  The document there is both
large, and to most people, incomprehensible.   Its 'rights' for
registrants are limited; its protections for registrars/registries/ICANN
are extensive.

Although it is in English, it's hardly 'Plain Language'.  It's not
organized in any way meaningful to the registrant; it's just a jumble of
stuff pulled from other documents to meet the requirement for 'doing
something'.   Or perhaps it was a good faith perliminary attempt to
identify what should go into a document that got misinterpreted as a
final product.  There are a few concessions to the need to explain legal
jargon - though the end result is hardly clarity.

Also, note that it is not enforceable; "The summarization of terms
within this document do not override or replace the terms set forth in
the RAA or within those specifications or policy."

Among the provisions that jumped out at me:

"As the RAA is between ICANN and a Registrar, no one else -- including a
Registered Name Holder -- may sue ICANN or the Registrar to claim a
breach of the RAA." (Third-party beneficiary clauses.)

OK, so we have rights, but we can't sue to enforce them.  (Yes, there
may - or may not - be the ability to sue the registrar under the
registrant-registrar agreement.  But if a registrar doesn't insert/live
up to the required language, the registrant has no leverage to obtain
compliance.  Hat-in-hand, it can ask ICANN to do something, but there's
no obligatory response.)

"The Registered Name Holder shall "indemnify and hold harmless the
Registry Operator and its directors, officers, employees, and agents
from and against any and all claims, damages, liabilities, costs, and
expenses (including reasonable legal fees and expenses) arising out of
or related to the Registered Name Holder's domain name registration."

So, if the Registry Operator doesn't pay it's electric bill and gets
sued, the RNH pays the bill and their lawyer?  In any case, the RNH does
business with the Registrar, not the RO.

"If there is a dispute in connection with the use of the registered
name, the Registered Name Holder must agree to jurisdiction of the
courts in at least one of two places: where the Registrar is located
(often stated on the website or in the Registrar/Registered Name Holder
Agreement) or the "Registered Name Holder's domicile."

What registrar has a single location?  As a practical matter, large (US)
enterprises tend to be incorporated in Delaware, and have places of
business in multiple jurisdictions.   Speaking as a registrant, I would
want "...the Registrar must agree to the jurisdiction of the courts in
at least the Registered Name Holder's domicile."   Why should a resident
of Hawaii be forced to travel to Virginia to sue Verisign?  This is a
standard tactic for the convenience of the drafter of a legal agreement
so it doesn't need to maintain representation in more than one place.
And why is this an ICANN matter?  It might be if it helped shift the
balance of power from the registrar to the (individual/non-commercial)
registrant.  But as is, it's simply assisting the registrar and doing
nothing for the registrant.

"A Registrar has to agree that it will take reasonable precautions to
protect the Registered Name Holder's data from 'loss, misuse,
unauthorized access or disclosure, alteration, or destruction'."

This is hardly exhaustive - I don't have time or expertise to pursue
this matter.  But it is clear that there's a lot of work required to
create a registrant-centered document.  It's not just the language that
creates a barrier.  It's also a question of organization, which should
match the registrants activities.  And size; if the key points (or at
least the table of contents) don't fit on a single screen, only the
truly obsessive will read it. The goal ought to be universal compliance,
not just mazes of legal protections.

As a rough benchmark, consider the difference between the laws on
operating a motor vehicle, and the driver's handbook that the states put
out to license applicants.  (At least in the US and Europe.)  The laws
are thousands of pages of detail, and still interpretations are fought
over in court every day.  The handbooks are typically less than 100
pages, written in large print, with pictures and at the reading level of
a young adult...and they are self-contained, not a bunch of references
to other documents.  And they are updated as the laws change.

I hope these notes are helpful in advancing the discussion.  Sorry that
I'm unable to volunteer to do more.

Timothe Litt
ACM Distinguished Engineer
if any, on the matters discussed.