[NCSG-Discuss] Fwd: Invitation-Expert Working Group on gTLD Directory Services - Beijing Session - Mon, 8 April - 11:00-12:30

Kathy Kleiman kathy at KATHYKLEIMAN.COM
Wed Apr 3 13:35:59 CEST 2013

Hi All,
Per email of a few hours ago, this session Monday at 11am is a key one
for us -- it's the new "whois" information (now called "gTLD Directory
Services") and some of the questions probe deeply in privacy issues...
and speech... and could (potentially) resolve problems we have had for
years in the Whois.

Please see the full announcement, but check out some of the questions
being asked below. Thick Whois WG members, can you come? Everyone,
please come! :

-      Whether collection, storage and provision of registrant data is
necessary;
·      Whether to incorporate different registration data requirements
for domain names for commercial use versus non-commercial use;
·      Whether and how anonymous registrations should be accommodated;
·      Potential costs/benefits of a distributed versus a centralized
database;
·      Possible safeguards to minimize abuse and protect the privacy of
registrants;
·      Whether and how remedies for inaccurate data should differ (for
example,  in cases of fraudulent, criminal, or malicious conduct);
·      Whether tiered access is desirable, depending upon the
requestor’s purpose.
Best,
Kathy
: