[NCSG-Discuss] Fwd: [Soac-infoalert] GAC draft gTLD agenda for Beijing and advice to the ICANN Board on controversial or sensitive strings and applications

Robin Gross robin at IPJUSTICE.ORG
Mon Apr 1 18:37:17 CEST 2013

our paternalistic GAC and their censorship plans for the Internet ....

Begin forwarded message:

> From: David Olive <david.olive at icann.org>
> Date: April 1, 2013 5:34:20 AM PDT
> To: "soac-infoalert at icann.org" <soac-infoalert at icann.org>
> Subject: [Soac-infoalert] GAC draft gTLD agenda for Beijing and
> advice to the ICANN Board on controversial or sensitive strings and
> applications
>
> https://gacweb.icann.org/display/gacweb/Governmental+Advisory
> +Committee

> GAC draft gTLD agenda for Beijing and advice to the ICANN Board on
> controversial or sensitive strings and applications
>
> As the New gTLD Program moves forward, the GAC is making
> preparations for delivering further advice on new gTLDs.  This
> advice constitutes a key element of the overall process as outlined
> in the Applicant Guidebook (AG).
>
> As anticipated, GAC Member Early Warnings were issued on November
> 20, 2012, and applicants and GAC Members have been exchanging
> information with the aim of reaching an understanding or agreement
> on concerns raised, wherever possible.
>
> In terms of the next phase, described in module 3.1 of the AG, the
> GAC as a whole will be discussing its advice on new gTLDs.  These
> sessions are organized into two parts:
>
> Part I  Safeguard advice on the basis of categories of strings
>
> The GAC discussions will proceed on the basis of advice to
> safeguard categories of strings that raise concerns, or potential
> concerns, for governments.  There are currently nine draft
> categories of strings proposed for the GAC’s Beijing agenda.  Six
> were identified in the GAC Toronto Communique:
>
>    Consumer protection
>    Strings that are linked to regulated market sectors, such as the
> financial, health and charity sectors
>    Competition issues
>    Strings that have broad or multiple uses or meanings, and where
> one entity is seeking exclusive use
>    Religious terms where the applicant has no, or limited, support
> from the relevant religious organisations or the religious community.
>    Minimising the need for defensive registrations
>    Protection of geographic names
>    Intellectual property rights particularly in relation to strings
> aimed at the distribution of music, video and other digital material
>
> Three additional categories have now been proposed for consideration:
>
>    Support for applications submitted by global authorities
>    Corporate Identifier gTLDs
>    Strings that represent inherent government functions and/or
> activities
>
> As the GAC looks at these nine categories, and how they would apply
> to strings and applications falling under these categories, the
> number of safeguard categories or titles of the categories could
> change.
>
> Part II  GAC advice/objections on specific applications
>
> Twenty specific applications have been brought forward by a GAC
> Member or Members for consideration by the GAC.  The GAC Member(s)
> putting forward these applications have linked them to the
> following categories:

> [...]

IP JUSTICE
Robin Gross, Executive Director
p: +1-415-553-6261    f: +1-415-462-6451
w: http://www.ipjustice.org     e: robin at ipjustice.org