Closed New gTLDs - "Closed Gardens"

Evan Leibovitch evan at TELLY.ORG
Fri Sep 7 09:02:13 CEST 2012

For what it's worth.

The ALAC developed a specific process for receiving complaints about gTLD
strings, as allowed for in the AG as an aftermath of the MAPO debate.

We received a single complaint, from the New Zealand ccTLD, about .book and
the intent by Amazon to "close" the TLD.
http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/newgtldrg/2012-August/000114.html

As far as I am aware ALAC is taking a position *not* to endorse or forward
the complaint

I see multiple holes in the argument made by InternetNZ, Michele, and
others (the complaints coming almost completely from contracted parties and
domainers)

   - First, the complainst are about the intended use of the strings, not
   about the strings themselves. As such, these complaints require ICANN to
   evaluate the content and business models behind all applications whereas
   the complaint mechanism is really just about the offensiveness of the
   string itself. I am not sure that the community is willing to trust ICANN
   to perform suitable evaluations based on content or business models of
   TLDs; it has barely demonstrated competence in being able to evaluate the
   strings themselves

   - I find the complaints fascinating, in that Amazon and other potential
   private gTLD owners have not indicated what they intend to do with their
   TLDs -- just that they intend to retain ownership of all subdomains. Such a
   declaration, on its own, if hardly merit for dismissal; it does not
   preclude leasing or renting lower-level domains to the public, but it does
   indicate in intention to bypass the current secondary channel of
   registrars. It's thus  of no surprise to see the biggest complaints against
   private TLDs coming from the speculators and resellers who would be locked
   out of such schemes. If, as I suspect, at least one or two of these TLDs
   intend to give away free use of domains (think of the Google model for
   other services), such offers would be impossible if registrars demanded
   their cut. To deny such innovative approaches would deprive potential
   registrants and the public of true alternatives to the status quo; there
   are enough conventional applications in play to give people liking the
   traditional path of resellers and registrars plenty of options. But some
   innovative experiments must be allowed to try -- and possibly fail.

   - It's hypocritical to reject private ownership of generic-word top
   level domains while accepting private ownership of generic words at lower
   levels. I fail to see the logic of how private ownership of foo.com is
   OK while private ownership of *.foo is not. For better or worse, ICANN has
   condoned (and indeed thrived upon) not only the private ownership of common
   words, but their commoditization in auctions and secondary markets.
   Arguably, private ownership of common words is at the very core of the
   whole domaining industry. ICANN could have chosen another path but that
   bridge was burned long ago. And now that money has been accepted for
   good-faith applications, ICANN can't change its rules retroactively.

- Evan

--
Evan Leibovitch
Toronto Canada