Closed New gTLDs - "Closed Gardens"

Andrei Barburas abarburas at IICD.ORG
Wed Sep 5 23:03:53 CEST 2012

Hello all,

Edward, allow me to contradict you regarding this statement:

"*Domain names are not trademarks. Nor are they sui generis i.p. marks. To
sign this letter indicates a belief that in some form they are and will
make it a be a bit more difficult in the futre to coherently fight efforts
by brand owners to further expand their monopoly rights in the domain
ecosphere.*"

The best example I can give, is Amazon.com which is an actual trademark
(Amazon with and without the dotcom; a list of their trademarks can be
found here:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/?nodeId=200738910)

This issue was discussed in one of our previous mailings regarding
"generic" words, like fruits and everyday items.

*Andrei Barburas*

Community Relations Services Officer

International Institute for Communication and Development (IICD)

P.O. Box 11586, 2502 AN The Hague, The Netherlands

Mobile: +31 62 928 2879

Phone: +31 70 311 7311
Fax: +31 70 311 7322
Website: www.iicd.org