Closed New gTLDs - "Closed Gardens"

Avri Doria avri at ACM.ORG
Wed Sep 5 22:03:48 CEST 2012

Hi,

For some reason I cannot see the fiull version.  But even from what I read here, I certainly do not support it.

I beleive that we always knew that this was a possibility that people would use Generic TLDs for closed usage.

Section 6 of what?  Module 6?  Section 6 of the proposed contract on Fees?  I do not see anything in this that covers the permissibility of not having any external registrations.  In any case, any registration they do have, even for internal purposes, would need to be done by Accredited Registrars and incurr fees.

But in any case I have seen nothing in either the Guidebook or the GNSO recommendations against this possibility.

And as I heard Milton argue somewhere, no one seemed to have a problem with Barnes & Noble using book.com for its own closed purposes.  What is the difference?  Millions and millions of .com versus only Thousands  of gTLDs in this round?

Additionally I think this argument would run into contradiction with the notion that some community TLDs will restrict to whom they sell.

I suggest we avoid signing this appeal.

avri

PS: but agree completely that Michelle is wonderful.