Constituencies yet again (aargghhh)

Avri Doria avri at ACM.ORG
Thu Oct 25 15:38:06 CEST 2012

Hi,

So sorry for the distraction.

But the subject of constituencies  came up, as I beleive it should.

Given the current realities of ICAN support for constituencies and thus given that it affords multiple NC voices, support,  and nomcom seats (at least in the near future) and other benefits that only accrue to constituencies, I think that maintaining an CSG style minimization of constituencies is a bad idea.  I beleive in multiple constituencies, and our SG charter is created to support multiple constituencies: not quite the light weight interest groups we in NCUC wanted, but in my opinion, close.

So, when the topic comes up, I argue for multiple constituencies. Academics is not really the kind of constituency I see as I look for constituencies based on interest not identity, remember a person can be in 3 of them.    That is why I put (ICANN Giganet) beside it.  I was thinking that it was possible there would be people whose only interest in ICANN was writing academic analyses of ICANN.  This could have been a useful thing - for ICANN to have its own academic crit/self-crit constituency.  I will avoid listing academic it in my example chains in the future so that we can avoid more deja vu.   I do not plan, however, to stop supporting the idea of new constituencies, and don't plan to stop helping any NC group that wants to create one.

So again sorry it is a distraction, but I think it is as important to the NCSG as getting itself organized and having elections is to the NCUC.  Sorry if it distracts NCUC from its elections etc.

Perhaps NCUC needs its own list so that it can avoid NCSG discussions if it wishes.  And yes, I am a member of NCUC and will subscribe to both lists.

avri