[PC-NCSG] [] a modest amendment to our charter point on "privacy and data protection"

Avri Doria avri at ACM.ORG
Wed Oct 17 15:13:05 CEST 2012

Hi,

I look like I lost the attempt to get freedom of expression and association mention in the charter.
It was called scope creep.

This was my compromise proposal after a few iterations

> Impact on rights: how would ‘thick’ Whois specifically affect internationally agreed rights, e.g. rights of others, privacy, freedoms such as expression and association, as well as adherence to data protection regulations, taking into account the involvement of different jurisdictions with different laws and legislation with regard to data privacy as well as possible cross border transfers of registrant data?

As I said, it was not accepted because it was considered scope creep.

So the g-council will get the version with the following language:

> Impact on privacy and data protection: how would ‘thick’ Whois affect privacy and data protection, also taking into account the involvement of different jurisdictions with different laws and legislation with regard to data privacy as well as possible cross border transfers of registrant data?

I hope the NCSG council members make this an issue in today's meeting.  And that even if they vote in the positive for the charter, they make voting statement decrying the fear and avoidance of the GNSO on measuring the impact of our actions on human rights.

One skirmish in the attempt to get ICANN to pay attention to its impact on Human Rights is lost.

Next?

avri