Fwd: Application For New GNSO Constituency in The NCSG -- PIA-CC

Robin Gross robin at IPJUSTICE.ORG
Thu Oct 11 05:14:11 CEST 2012

Dear All:

Please see the attached application for a candidate constituency in
NCSG, the proposed "Public Internet Access / Cybercafe Ecosystem
Constituency".   NCSG must evaluate and make a recommendation to the
ICANN Board of Director regarding the acceptance of this application
by early January.  Also a public comment period has opened the
application.

Therefore, for processing this application, we will set up an NCSG
working group to look into it in detail and make recommendations to
the NCSG Executive Committee in time to meet our response deadline to
the ICANN Board in early January.   This NCSG working group will be
comprised of any interested NCSG members and particularly the NCSG-
EC.  Please let me know in the next week if you would like to be
included on this NCSG working group to evaluate this application and
make a recommendation on it.

Thanks,
Robin

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Robert Hoggarth <robert.hoggarth at icann.org>
> Date: October 10, 2012 10:05:57 AM PDT
> To: Robin Gross <robin at ipjustice.org>
> Cc: Ray Plzak <plzakr at gmail.com>, David Olive <david.olive at icann.org>
> Subject: Application For New GNSO Constituency in The NCSG -- PIA-CC
>
> Dear Robin:
>
> The purpose of this letter is to inform you, as Chair of the NCSG,
> that ICANN Staff has received an Application For Candidacy (AFC)
> form to establish a proposed Public Internet Access/Cybercafé
> Ecosystem Constituency (PIA/CC) in the GNSO. Submission of the
> application package has initiated the Board-approved GNSO "New
> Constituency Recognition Process" (ref: http://gnso.icann.org/en/
> about/form-new-constituency.htm).
>
> I am sending this application package to you (see attached
> documents; cover letter, AFC and supplementary material) because
> the applicant specifically requested placement of the proposed
> Constituency within the NCSG.
>
> According to the process, ICANN Staff has/is taking the following
> actions:
>
> 1)   Formally acknowledged the application in an email to the
> Applicant.
> 2)   Opening a 35-day Public Comment period for community review
> and comment on the PIA/CC application package (cover letter, the
> AFC form and supplementary materials). Within 10 days of the
> expiration of the Public Comment and subsequent 30-day reply
> comment period (mid December), Staff will publish a report of any
> community feedback and forward a copy to all involved parties.
>
> According to the process, the NCSG has 90 days from the date of
> receipt of this email (on or about January 8, 2013) to formulate
> an “Accept” or “Reject” decision, along with supporting
> rationale, which will then be submitted to the ICANN Board for its
> review. The GNSO New Constituency web page is here - http://
> gnso.icann.org/en/about/form-new-constituency.htm.  Please see the
> actual procedures for information concerning the NCSG's and the
> Board’s obligations and available actions. A flowchart of the
> process is also available for download.
>
> While the publicly-shared copies of the application documents will
> have the personal contact information for the applicant contact
> redacted, the copies of the cover letter and the AFC I have
> attached leave the applicant contact info available – to
> facilitate any potential dialogue or correspondence you might
> choose to initiate.
>
> This represents the first time that the GNSO's New Constituency
> Recognition process has been formally activated, so if you have ANY
> questions about process, roles, responsibilities, or timelines,
> please contact me at your convenience. I am happy to spend some
> time with you in Toronto if you would like to discuss this matter
> while we are there.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Rob Hoggarth
> Sr. Director-ICANN Policy Department

IP JUSTICE
Robin Gross, Executive Director
p: +1-415-553-6261    f: +1-415-462-6451
w: http://www.ipjustice.org     e: robin at ipjustice.org