Fwd: Intersponsive's URS Advisory Board

Kathy Kleiman kathy at KATHYKLEIMAN.COM
Mon Nov 19 15:18:37 CET 2012

Hi David and Everyone,
I think this position may involve some work, but I would like to
volunteer to undertake it.  While the Uniform Rapid Suspension (URS) was
a process introduced to us by the Intellectual Property Constituency and
Business Constituency in the in IRT report, we managed to negotiate
safeguards, limits and due process in the STI Team.

I spent many hundreds of hours working on the URS as part of the STI
team, and feel strongly about seeing the implementation take place
according to the rules we have drawn up. In particular, we want to
ensure that "defaults," or the failure of a individual, organization or
company to respond in the very short time allowed under the URS are
fully evaluated by attorneys with trademark law experience and
expertise.  A number of potential URS Service Providers (WIPO in
particular) have tried to cut back on this guarantee and commitment
(which is a very clear commitment that we, NCUC/NCSG, ensured was in the
Guidebook).

Intersponsive has already made the commitment to keep the URS rules as
drafted.  They did  so openly and publicly at the URS Session in Toronto
-- when NAF and WIPO said they could not. So already, Intersponsive has
a "good check" by its name. It's a new service provider, and one clearly
open to input and advice, otherwise we would not have been invited on
their advisory board.

We also wrote into the URS additional fairness issues missing from the
UDRP, including rotation of panelists -- so that same one person cannot
be appointed again and again to give one (pro-IP) decision -- as has
happened so many times at WIPO. I want to see all of these commitments,
and more, come to fruition.

As you know, I am Internet Counsel for Fletcher, Heald & Hildreth, and a
co-founder of the NCUC (with so many wonderful people). If you would
like, I would be happy to serve in this new capacity.

Best,
Kathy

: