Draft comment on Cyber-Cafe constituency application for approval

Joly MacFie joly at PUNKCAST.COM
Sun Nov 18 02:37:29 CET 2012

Given Avri's amendments, I support this statement on behalf of ISOC-NY.

I believe  non-commercial Public Internet Access Points may also have
a role within the NCUC.

On Sat, Nov 17, 2012 at 6:46 PM, Ginger Paque <gpaque at gmail.com> wrote:
> Add my name....
>

> Ginger (Virginia) Paque
>
> VirginiaP at diplomacy.edu
> Diplo Foundation
> Internet Governance Capacity Building Programme
> www.diplomacy.edu/ig
>

> On 17 November 2012 12:21, Avri Doria <avri at acm.org> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I think that joint comment from the constituencies would be a good thing.
>> Otherwise I would go for individual signatories.
>> Which mean we would need people to say: "add my name"
>>
>> avri
>>
>> On 17 Nov 2012, at 12:26, Kadian Davis wrote:
>>
>> > Well put Mary! Agreed @ Maria I believe it should be submitted as a
>> > joint comment ie both ncuc/npoc.
>> >
>> > Best regards,
>> >
>> > Kadian Davis.
>> >
>> > On Sat, Nov 17, 2012 at 11:53 AM, Maria Farrell
>> > <maria.farrell at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Does it make sense, then, to submit the piece as a joint ncuc/npoc
>> > comment, and not an ncsg one?
>> >
>> > I'd support that, as an ncuc member.
>> >
>> > On 17 November 2012 15:39, Alain Berranger <alain.berranger at gmail.com>
>> > wrote:
>> > Hi Mary,
>> >
>> > Thanks a lot for an excellent statement.
>> > On a personal basis, I agree with much of the spirit of your proposed
>> > comment and take the opportunity to run it by NPOC-voice to solicit an NPOC
>> > wide view. However, as Avri points out, the NCSG-EC has to decide on a
>> > recommendation to the Board as per the timeline Robin indicated. So, it
>> > seems inappropriate for NCSG-EC to make a public comment at this early stage
>> > such as the one you suggest or any other one for that matter, as it would
>> > essentially have the effect of making a decision regarding the application
>> > during the public comment period.
>> >
>> > There are 2 points I would like to raise:
>> >
>> > 1) telecentres for social purposes, usually located in schools, clinics,
>> > community centers, remote villages, etc... - for instance see
>> > http://www.telecentre.org/ for a look inside the Telecentre movement - are
>> > non-commercial public access Internet points (PIAPs) while cybercafés are
>> > essentially commercial, even if located in very poor and under serviced
>> > areas, because they are mostly entrepreneurial in their organization, with a
>> > livelihood or profit making purpose. The former could be housed in NCSG (as
>> > Members) while the latter could be welcomed into CSG.
>> > 2) we should distinguish between the proponent and it's adequacy to be
>> > the leader of the creation of a new constituency and the need for a new
>> > constituency. If it is confirmed that there is a need for some kind of a new
>> > constituency, then NCSG-EC has to also decide on it's recommendation
>> > regarding if  the proponent is likely to adequately lead the creation of
>> > that new constituency.
>> >
>> > I hope this helps! Alain
>> >

>> > On Saturday, November 17, 2012, wrote:
>> > Hello everyone,
>> >
>> > Since today is the last day for public comment on the proposed new
> [...]

Joly MacFie  218 565 9365 Skype:punkcast
WWWhatsup NYC - http://wwwhatsup.com