Fwd: Application For New GNSO Constituency in The NCSG -- PIA-CC

Andrew A. Adams aaa at MEIJI.AC.JP
Thu Nov 15 05:13:11 CET 2012

Nicolas Adam wrote:
> I very much doubt that. Not that someone said that to you, but that some
> change would actually be needed to welcome it (or parts of it).
>
> I don't see an obvious set of possible intensions defining ISP in their
> charter that would disallow the PIA-CC ISP extension.
>
> But i haven't checked.

ISPCP charter:
http://gnso.icann.org/en/internet-service-and-connection-providers/articles

Relevant definition:
"ISPs" or "connectivity providers" 	means entities that comply with the
following criteria, namely

1.    they are in the business of operating Name Servers as a service for 3rd
parties other than companies affiliated with the respective provider and
2.    they
        operate an Internet backbone network based on TCP/IP or
        provide transit to either Internet users or 3rd party's Internet
content.
----------------------------------

Membership of the ISPCP is then defined as primarily of association
representing ISPs or CEs as defined above. So, the sticking point I see here
is whether the proposed constituency association's members usually run their
own DNS server or not. If they simply point to the upstream provider's
server, then they fail criteria 1.

Of course whether this is a sensible restriction is a separate question, but
it does appear to be to be plausible that their current charter would not
recognise the candidate as a suitable ISPCP member.
Professor Andrew A Adams                      aaa at meiji.ac.jp
Professor at Graduate School of Business Administration,  and
Deputy Director of the Centre for Business Information Ethics
Meiji University, Tokyo, Japan       http://www.a-cubed.info/