Fwd: [council] FW: Letter from the GAC regarding IOC/RC Protections

joy joy at APC.ORG
Fri Nov 30 03:59:38 CET 2012

Hi all - sharing this message with you.
This letter has sparked a debate among GNSO Councillors about whether
or not there should be some work on defining "policy" vs
"implementation" and/or some GNSO principles. the discussion began
with Jeff Neumann's suggestion:
"I believe we all need to take a step back from the issues immediately
and decide once and for all an agreed upon bottom-up multi-stakeholder
definition of what is ?policy? and what is ?implementation.?  Or at
the very least a framework for making that assessment when issues
arise.  I would advocate for a cross community group made up of
members from ICANN staff, the GNSO, the GAC and others to come
together to figure this issue out, so that we get out of this rut we
are now in.  At the same time, we need to fix the image of the GNSO
policy processes so that they are no longer feared, but embraced.
They need to not be used as vehicles for delay, but rather utilized
for the common good."

It would help us as Councillors to have your views on this idea.

Cheers

Joy