Rod on NomCom

Remmy Nweke remmyn at GMAIL.COM
Sun Mar 18 22:32:57 CET 2012

Hi Carlos and all,
I am sure most of us have settled at work and base since returning from
Costa Rica.

Additional to Carlos point Rod was quoted as saying in the speech:
"It is my strong view that all members of the NomCom should be free of
conflicts and all directors selected by them should be independent of the
domain name industry"
To me,  his speech seems to be playing two sides of the coin, I don't want
to believe he was not yet in ICANN when the current NomCom for instance was
inaugurated and I did not understand the undertone that directors be
selected independent of domain name industry. What exactly does he mean by
that and is not ICANN not supposedly made of domain name stakeholders?

On Sun, Mar 18, 2012 at 6:16 PM, Carlos A. Afonso <ca at cafonso.ca> wrote:

> Dear people,
>
> I think we (diplomatically, or olympically as we usually say in Brazil,
> and probably might be prohibited from doing so by the IOC) ignored this
> in our joint NCSG-NomCom meeting (I was there and I am part to blame),
> and it seems Icann as a whole ignored this as well.
>
> In short, Rod proposes (and I agree with him) that the entire NomCom
> approach be revamped to ensure true independence in nominating occupiers
> of Icann posts.
>
> fraternal regards
>
> --c.a.
>
> ======================
> [part of Rod Beckstrom's speech in the ICANN43 opening ceremony, on
> Icann's NomCom]
>
> [...]
> A significant threat lies within ICANN's existing structure. Let's
> consider the nominating committee as an example. Preserving ICANN's
> ability to act independently in the public interest is paramount to the
> future of the Internet and this institution.
>
> In view of the need for broad representation within ICANN's governance,
> inclusion of industry representatives on the board and in our work
> supports the multistakeholder model, our means of ensuring independence.
>
> In the years since ICANN was formed, the number of Internet users has
> grown from 146 million to some 2.3 billion today around the world.
>
> The effects have been dramatic, bringing wholesale governance change and
> greater transparency to the entire world.
>
> I believe that ICANN, its board, and our community must keep pace with
> the growing diversity and expanding scope of the Internet.
>
> We must seize the opportunity to embrace the transparency and good
> governance that this precious resource deserves. ICANN must be able to
> act for the public good while placing commercial and financial interest
> in the appropriate context.
>
> How can it do this if all top leadership is from the very domain name
> industry it is supposed to coordinate independently? A more subtle but
> related risk is the tangle of conflicting agendas within the board that
> would make it more difficult for any CEO to meet the requirements of
> this deeply rewarding and sometimes frustrating job.
>
> Progress has been solid since I addressed ethics and conflict issues in
> my Singapore opening remarks. Along with greater engagement with the
> community, a subcommittee on conflicts and ethics of the Board
> Governance Committee was formed to help directors evaluate their
> potential conflicts. And as a result, this has increased instances where
> potentially conflicted members have left board discussions. I applaud
> this change and believe it is time to further tighten up the rules that
> have allowed perceived conflicts to exist within the board. This is
> necessary not just to be responsive to the growing course of criticism
> about ICANN's ethics environment but to ensure the absolute dedication
> to the public good always supersedes other priorities.

> [...]

REMMY NWEKE,
Executive Board member,
Nigeria Internet Registration Association (NIRA)
Group Executive Editor, DigitalSENSE News
ITREALMS Online <http://www.itrealms.com.ng/>,
NaijaAgroNet<http://www.naijaagronet.blogspot.com>
(Multiple-award winning medium)
Published by: DigitalSENSE Africa Media Ltd
M: 234-8023122558, 8033592762, 8051000475,
First runner up, Highway Africa New Media awards 2010
Follow us@: www.twitter.com/ITRealmsOnline
Keep a date @ *Nigeria DigitalSENSE Forum on Internet Governance for
Development,
March 8 and 9, 2012,* Golden-Gate Paradise, Ikoyi-Lagos.
Call: 234-8023725607 for sponsorship & participation
email: remnekkv at gmail.com;
http://www.digitalsenseafrica.blogspot.com;
http://www.digitalsenseafrica.com.ng
Winner, first FOSSFA-Deutsche Welle African Reporter Award 2010
*Confidentiality Notice:* The information in this document and attachments
are confidential and may also be privileged information. It is intended
only for the use of the named recipient. Remmy Nweke does not accept legal
responsibility for the contents of this e-mail. If you are not the intended
recipient, please notify me immediately, then delete this document and do
not disclose the contents of this document to any other person, nor make
any copies. Violators may face court persecution.