Fwd: [governance] Verisign seizes .com domain registered via foreign Registrar on behalf of US Authorities

Adam Peake ajp at GLOCOM.AC.JP
Wed Mar 7 08:01:16 CET 2012

Anyone know how many of the take-downs have used Verisign?

And wonder how many of the new TLD applicants have selected US-based
technical providers.

During WSIS civil society frequently commented on US' unilateral
control of the root as unacceptable.  Many submissions made, can only
find this now... from 2005:

"We would like to underscore that unilateral control of the root zone
file is a public policy issue. We agree with WGIG that in future no
single government should have a pre-eminent role in global governance
of the logical infrastructure of the Internet."

Perhaps time to make it a public policy issue again?  With the AoC and
other improvements the US has been pretty good since WSIS.  These name
seizures are a nasty step back.

Adam