IOC/Red Cross public comments period

Mary.Wong at LAW.UNH.EDU Mary.Wong at LAW.UNH.EDU
Tue Mar 6 06:02:34 CET 2012

Hi Nicolas and everyone,

The current public comment period was launched by the GNSO, since the group that debated and drafted the proposals was formed by the GNSO via Council agreement in Dakar. The Council's view was that the GNSO shoukd respond to the GAC letter that proposed a number of protections at the top and second level for the IOC and RC, particularly since the Board resolution calling for temporary top level protections in this current expansion round also specified that the GNSO and GAC should work together to develop policy for future rounds.

If the Council decides, whether in Costa Rica or after, to act on the current recommendation, it will be by way of formal resolution that will be sent to the Board and the GAC.

BTW the debate about possible second level protections is just starting to get going. The current call for public comment is for top level protections only, so the second level issue is still pending and will no doubt lead to much more extensive discussion stretching beyond the Costa Rica meeting next week.

I hope this helps! Thanks to all members who have weighed in with some tremendously helpful and constructive comments.

Cheers
Mary

"Nicolas Adam <nickolas.adam at GMAIL.COM>" <nickolas.adam at GMAIL.COM> wrote:

I have decided in favor of GNSO.